Letter: Online comics superior to print strips

To the Editor:

In a recent column ("These comics are not very good," Sept. 27) , Daniel Moraff '14 complained at length about the quality of the modern-day newspaper comics section, noting that the funnies are more often than not … not funny. While the author raised some very good points in the hopes of addressing the cause of current print comics' mediocrity, he failed to adequately explain why we — the first generation to grow up with the Internet — should care. For the past decade and a half, the webcomics industry has been steadily growing in number of artists, amount of raw talent and widespread appeal. Why should younger generations cry out against the inexplicable longevity of Hagar the Horrible when, with a few keystrokes, they can access modern gems like Dinosaur Comics, Achewood, A Softer World, Diesel Sweeties and other short- and long-form comics on the Internet? The webcomics industry is by no means glamorous, exciting or always financially rewarding, but unlike the rigid world of print newspaper comics, it does not suffer from the problem of having "no room for new guys to squeeze in," and even stodgy old professors are now hanging xkcd clippings in their offices. Let those who care about the newspaper comics section continue to read the drivel in peace. We'll be over here on our iPads, laptops, netbooks, smart phones or high-end desktops engaged in the "cultural landscape" we actually find engaging.

Salomon Gomez '13