Following the installation of 10 new exercise machines over the past week, the Bears Lair is once again filled to capacity with students working off magic bars and spicies with.

When 10 outdated machines were removed from the gym earlier this semester, students expressed frustration that the remaining machines were not sufficient to accommodate their needs, causing disrupted exercise schedules and leading some to abandon the gym altogether. But seven new machines installed Friday and three installed yesterday restored the space to its original capacity.

Matthew Tsimikas, assistant director of athletics and physical education, wrote in an email to The Herald that five treadmills, three elliptical machines and two exercise bikes, all 2011 models, were installed to replace outdated equipment.

The Bears Lair is part of the Department of Athletics' satellite fitness system.

Originally, the satellite fitness centers were intended as temporary workout spaces in the residential halls following students' demands for a place to exercise, said Margaret Klawunn, vice president for campus life and student services. But the popularity of the gyms inspired the University to grant them permanent status.

This proved to be a problem, as the gyms were made possible by an alumni donation 12 years ago. "We had a gift to get them started," Klawunn said, "But we didn't have a budget for ongoing maintenance."

The University instituted a plan to find new funds from gift donations this past summer, Klawunn said. Though the athletics department removed machines deemed outdated or unsafe at the beginning of the semester, it failed to replace these machines until last Friday.

Student response to the new machines has been overwhelmingly positive, though many expressed dismay at the former state of the gym.

"I used to wait in line just for the treadmill. Now that we have four, I don't have to anymore," said Christian Talavera '12. He said he felt it was important for the University to have working machines because students are "on a tight schedule and typically allow and allot a certain time for the gym."

After abandoning the Bears Lair and starting her own exercise routine earlier this fall, Sinead Crotty '14 said she would consider returning to the gym now that there are new machines.