Editorial: In favor of semesters at Oxbridge

Brown's guiding principle is that students should be the masters of their own education. The Office of International Programs' decision to disallow semester-long study abroad programs at Cambridge University and Oxford University is not in keeping with this basic value.

The OIP's new rule reflects a we-know-best mentality thoroughly inconsistent with the Brown philosophy. Though spending a full year abroad might indeed be optimal, the OIP should not force students to do things its way.

Spending a full year at Oxford or Cambridge is clearly valuable. But that does not mean that it is the only legitimate approach to studying abroad at these prestigious schools.

There are a number of reasons students might prefer to spend only a semester abroad. First, the early application deadlines for both Oxford and Cambridge are far before many newly minted sophomores have even begun to consider studying abroad. The OIP's decision prevents students who decide in their fourth Brown semester — when most study abroad applications are due — from studying at Oxford or Cambridge.

Second, taking an entire year off means missing twice as much Brown time. Not having that extra Brown semester means students might not be able to make as much progress toward their concentrations. It also materially interferes with extra- and co-curricular activities. Because many student groups change leadership in the winter, many juniors return from abroad in January to leadership posts. The OIP's new policy will deprive students in the Oxford and Cambridge programs of this opportunity. Furthermore, a year is a long time to be away from friends, mentors and the sense of home Brown provides. Each moment on campus is precious.

We maintain that a single semester abroad spent at Oxford or Cambridge makes for a legitimate, scholarly, even exhausting experience. Though their terms' duration might be shorter than other schools', their reading lists certainly are not. It is laughable to refuse to offer single terms at such elite institutions while encouraging semesters at schools more noted for their proximity to the beach.

The well-defined harm that will come of the OIP's decision far outweighs any educational benefit. It might be good to remind the OIP that the New Curriculum gave students the "right to choose, the right to fail and above all the freedom to direct their own education." We do not claim that we will always get it right, but we do insist on the right to direct our own education.

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.