Editorial: Turning down the traditional thesis

As some seniors start to rent out library carrels in preparation for the long hours they will spend researching and writing their honors theses, most of them can predict what their final product will look like: dozens of pages pressed and bound, and once presented, stacked away on a shelf to gather dust. This is how it is done and how it has always been done. But there is a trend beginning among graduate dissertations and trickling down to undergraduate theses, particularly in the digital humanities — in lieu of the traditional paper essay, degree candidates receive credit for projects in alternative formats.

Among Brown undergraduates, this is readily seen in the arts, where seniors put on performances or exhibits at the end of the year. But other departments are starting to offer non-traditional alternatives to concentrators as well. For example, in the department of development studies, where writing a thesis is required to graduate, some advisers have encouraged concentrators to think beyond daunting tomes. For some, this means using photography and video to exhibit their work. For others, it involves creating financial portfolios or proposals that real businesses and organizations plan to use.

In the graphic forms, where there is no physical paper to show for the final product, critics may be tempted to see this as a cop-out. But students pursuing these alternative forms told the editorial page board that it is no easy task. They must be proficient in their particular art form to effectively present their material through digital media. This might mean taking extra courses and even double-concentrating to acquire the skill set necessary to produce a cohesive thesis project.

We applaud professors in the development studies department and others for giving their concentrators room for innovation. We find this academic flexibility consistent with the value Brown places on taking ownership of one's education. Development studies, as a highly interdisciplinary department to begin with, seems like a natural place for this trend to take root. That said, it is certainly possible for such a concept to work its way into other departments that have traditionally expected their concentrators to submit theses in paper form. Some departments may wish to offer thesis credit for shorter journal publications or co-authorships rather than one long, consolidated document. This broadens the impact of a student's work and encourages one to draft practically useful proposals.

Expanding options for engagement in broadly applicable work and novel forms of presentation challenges students to commit more fully to fleshing out their thesis project. Bridging disciplines should also incentivize students to further engage with the faculty, students and research in other concentrations in order to weave the concerns of multiple academic fields together. And crafting a senior project in an alternative form serves to distinguish students from their peers as undergraduates prepare to showcase their knowledge and skill sets to graduate schools and employers. While there is certainly no point to forcing an alternative thesis for the sake of appearing creative, we hope departments offer honors recognition for non-traditional, outstanding work. We are confident students will take on the challenge.  

Editorials are written by The Herald's editorial page board. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.