The Residential Council will begin accepting applications today for a new program house, which will fill the void left when Interfaith House closed its doors last semester.

The application will become available at 8 a.m. on ResCouncil's website. Any non-seniors with an idea for a residential program are eligible to apply so long as they can sign up at least 10 supporters by the Nov. 18 deadline, said Travis Spangler '13, chair of ResCouncil's Program and Greek House Committee. The application is also open to proposals for new Greek houses.

The opening follows ResCouncil's decision to deny Interfaith House — formerly located in Diman House — program house status due to low enrollment numbers, Spangler said. Program houses must maintain a minimum of 22 members to remain in good standing, he said.

Interfaith House was twice put on probation in the last two years for low enrollment, losing exclusive access to Diman's lounge, kitchen and library. Former residents of Interfaith House did not respond to requests for comment.

ResCouncil will select representatives from the top applicant groups to interview by Nov. 28, Spangler said. Administrators will look for proposals with the potential to contribute to the Brown community. Applications must make a case that a program house status is ideal for the group — applicants cannot just be looking to avoid the housing lottery, Spangler said.

Once ResCouncil wraps up the interviews, it will submit its findings to the Office of Residential Life, which will confirm or veto specific proposals. The final decision in December will be a joint effort between ResLife and ResCouncil, Spangler said.

New program house applicants will need to sign up 22 members by Super Deadline Day, which usually comes in March, Spangler said.

The new group will have exclusive access to its common spaces upon moving in, whether that be in Diman or another residence hall more suited to the group's needs.