"Rock of Ages," the hit Broadway musical that has been making headlines since it debuted in 2006, began its second national tour at the Providence Performing Arts Center Tuesday. A film adaptation is expected in June 2012.

The musical takes place in 1987 on the Sunset Strip, a famous portion of Los Angeles' Sunset Boulevard traditionally associated with rock' n' roll, nightclubs and celebrities. The play focuses on a girl, Sherrie (Shannon Mullen), from a small town in Kansas, who travels to Los Angeles to fulfill her dreams of becoming an actress. There, she meets Drew (Dominique Scott), a busboy at a club called the Bourbon Room, who dreams of becoming a rock star. Encouraged by Drew, Sherrie takes a waitress job at the club, and unsurprisingly, the two almost immediately fall in love. While Sherrie and Drew try to communicate their feelings to each another, the Sunset Strip comes under fire as German developers buy the entire block and plan to turn the colorful stretch into a strip of bland stores.   

Though the plot may sound cliche, "Rock of Ages" tells this classic story by infusing it with glam rock hits from the '80s. The story of Drew and Sherrie is told through the music of artists such as Bon Jovi, Styx, Whitesnake and Journey — sung live by the actors, in show-stopping style.

The banality of the plot might be one of the show's weak points, but the energy of the actors brings the musical to a new level. They make full use of their space, running through the aisles and taking up every inch of the stage. In the end, "Rock of Ages" is not so much about plot but about the music it celebrates. The musical numbers are incredibly memorable and almost always done on an enormous scale. Often, actors in completely different locations are singing together, while fights, protests or rock concerts go on in the background.

Particularly memorable scenes include a rendition of "The Final Countdown," during which police beat down protesters trying to save the strip, and the heart-warming finale done to the legendary anthem, "Don't Stop Believin'."

The acting and singing are spectacular, though the brilliant secondary characters often overshadow the two leads. The hippie owner of the Bourbon Room, Dennis (Matt Ban), is uproariously funny, as is his assistant Lonny (Justin Colombo).  Lonny is also the narrator of the show, combining Jack Black and Puck from "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in his persona and often breaking the fourth wall and addressing the audience.  

Matt Nolan shines as the self-absorbed rock star, Stacee Jaxx, who, hated by his band, is preparing to start his solo career. He tromps around the stage in tight-fitting, bright, glittery clothes, a cowboy hat and a long blonde wig.  He may well have stepped right out of "This Is Spinal Tap."

"Mama" Justice (Amma Osei), a strip club owner, seems to embody "Chicago" Matron "Mama" Morton with her strong personality and equally commanding gospel voice.

"Rock of Ages" is a comedy as much as a musical. The humor is certainly lowbrow at times, but it fits well with the characters and the tone of the show.

"Rock of Ages" is colossal in scale. Audience members can tell as soon as they sit down and see the stage crowded with colorful billboards and provocative ads that they are in for something impressive. The flashing lights and almost constant presence of a live rock band make the show feel like a nostalgic concert from the '80s. It helps that the audience is usually active as well, standing up, cheering and singing along with the beloved soundtrack.

"Rock of Ages" is a massive production that uses humor, nostalgia and, of course, rock to create a memorable and entertaining theater-going experience. It is a must-see for fans of the '80s and glam rock.