On Oct. 6, 2000

Several Brown students joined a group of 25 at the home of then-State Rep. David Cicilline '83 to watch a vice presidential debate between Dick Cheney and Joe Lieberman. Matt Shechmeister ‘03 called Lieberman "more likeable" and said he "conveyed more experience" than Cheney. Cheney was identified as a former secretary of defense, while Lieberman, now an Independent, was labeled as a Democrat from Connecticut.

On Oct. 6, 1981

The Herald reported a man stealing $100 from the Ivy Room. The man, who also was found to have stolen a purse and a wallet, told Ivy Room manager Timothy Brown he had a gun, though Brown told The Herald he didn't actually see a firearm.

On Oct. 6, 1978

The Southern Africa Solidarity Committee picketed before an address owned by Corporation Member Thomas Watson '37. Watson later commemorated the Thomas J. Watson Sr. Center for Information Technology in honor of his father, the founder of IBM.

On Oct. 6, 1971

The University scrapped planned renovations to Faunce House, which would have included creating a snack bar, "outdoor cafe facilities" and lounge space. Administrators cancelled the renovations, choosing to expand the campus post office instead. Officials from the Student Activities Office expressed frustration about the decision, especially since the administration had not consulted them before scrapping the plans.