Spain engineering program initially attracts no applicants

No students applied for the spring semester of a new study abroad program at the University of Cantabria's School of Engineering by the Oct. 24 deadline, according to Kendall Brostuen, director of international programs and associate dean of the College.

The University announced the program, the first designed specifically to accommodate engineering concentrators, at the start of the semester. Despite the initial lack of interest, there has been significant enthusiasm for the fall 2012 semester.

The fall program spans a full academic year — from late August to early June — while the spring program begins in early February and lasts until June.

The program, located in Santandar in the Cantabria region of Spain, is open to declared engineering concentrators who have completed HISP 0110: "Intensive Basic Spanish" or HISP 0200: "Basic Spanish II" or who can demonstrate equivalent proficiency. Students must have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher, and priority is given to applicants to the full-year program.

"The program is appropriate for students who are in civil engineering, environmental engineering and even mechanical engineering," Brostuen said.

Students in the program will be required to take four engineering courses in English and one mandatory Spanish language course each semester. Students will receive four course credits upon successful completion of the semester.

Upon completion of the fall or spring programs, students are eligible for a six- to eight-week summer engineering internship in the Cantabria region. The University of Cantabria will place students at a number of Spanish firms or public works projects.

The internship aspect of the program gives students the opportunity to work for a small stipend.

"Students looking ahead to next year should really give it some thought," Brostuen said. "Every student that is qualified we'll work to accommodate."