Thompson '12 leads squash under pressure

The men's squash team turned to its captain, Brad Thompson '12, to seal the victory against Bates Nov. 19. The other players had split their matches 4-4, and Thompson found out midway through his match that winning depended solely on him. Thompson thrived under pressure  and defeated his opponent 11-7. For his stellar play and composure in a do-or-die situation, The Herald has named Thompson Athlete of the Week.

The Herald: What is your most memorable squash experience at Brown?

Thompson: When I was a sophomore, we were playing Bowdoin at Bowdoin, and the score came down to four-all, and I was playing in the number one spot. I played really well, everything came together — even though it was the highest pressure situation I've been in — and so I won really easily.  

How are you feeling about the team's prospects for the season?

We've been doing well so far. We won two of our close matches — against Columbia and Bates. We get back two of our best players, who are abroad currently, for second semester, so I think we're going to be really deep.

Do you feel more responsibility this year as captain than in previous years?

The captains always have to run practice for our preseason, where the coaches aren't allowed to participate. The other captain, Blake (Reinson '14), and I had to come up with drills every day and basically act like the coaches for the first month and a half . That was one of the biggest challenges — having to effectively be the coach and have everyone listen to you and act like an adult. It's been an awesome learning experience.

How did you start playing squash?

I started when I was in seventh grade. I didn't really play a sport — nothing seriously. My dad suggested I try out squash. I went to the local club, and I started playing with my dad. I immediately loved it. I played every single day for the next two years. If I couldn't find anyone to play with — since squash is easy to play by yourself — I spent most of that time playing alone. I've played most every day since then.  

Do you have a least favorite team to play against?

Bates. Bates has the worst sports. Not every school acknowledges the standards of being polite fans.

Do you have any pregame rituals or superstitions that you abide by?

None of them are superstitious — they all make sense. I always eat a ton of pasta the night before. I'll regrip my racket the night before an important match. I pack three or four shirts. I sweat like crazy, so I'll sweat through three or four shirts in a match. I've got a go-to Youtube clip of Jansher Khan. The way he plays — he manages to anticipate the ball so well, he doesn't run. He just walks around the court. Something about watching him just calms me down.  

Do you have any pump-up songs?

"You're Gonna Go Far, Kid" by The Offspring

"Hell Bent" by Kenna

What is something most people don't know about you?

My whole life I've told everyone — including parents and doctors — that I'm lactose-intolerant, but really I just don't like milk.

What are your plans for next year?

I'm going to be here. I'm in a program to get a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. …  On the weekends I'm going to give the professional squash thing a shot, and by the time I graduate I'll have an idea about whether that's a feasible thing or not.  

What is your concentration?

I want to get a B.A. in English and a B.S. in Applied Mathematics/Economics.

Are the stereotypes about squash true?

The stereotypes of it being really gentlemanly and proper are true. The stereotypes about it being not tough are not true. It gets pretty physical and requires a ton of training and physical strength and putting yourself through — the same as any sport. It is proper but not girly.