Correction appended.

Students gathered last night to hear both sides of the debate about the University's financial contributions to Providence at a Janus Forum event. 

Ben Noble '13, a member of the University Resource Committee, which makes annual budget recommendations to the president, and Ben Wofford '14.5, a member of Brown for Providence, a student group created to advocate increased payments to the city, debated the question, "What should Brown's financial commitment to the city of Providence be?"

The University is a tax-exempt institution, but last year it paid the city more than $4 million in voluntary contributions and taxes on property not used for educational purposes. In January, Providence Mayor Angel Taveras announced that the city could face bankruptcy in June if it does not rein in its $22.5 million budget deficit.

Wofford criticized the University for having "unquestionably the worst urban-university civic relationship among the Ivies." He called the recent $2 million hike in University payments "pixie dust."

Noble, a former Herald staff writer, countered that the University does not have unlimited resources. "Every dollar that we give the city of Providence means less stuff we can do here," he said. Noble added that 60 percent of the University's operating budget comes from tuition. "Is this where our tuition dollars should be going?" he asked. "To covering public sector employee pensions? ... Diverting more money to Providence here means less for our education."

Wofford, a Post- staff writer, disagreed. "You can't separate the University from its community," he said. To side with the University in this debate is like "commending Goliath when David has two broken ankles," he added.

While the debate was meant to focus on the ideal size of the University's financial commitment, it shifted to a more general discussion of the University's responsibility to support the community.

"The issue isn't about money, it's about commitment," Wofford said. "Great universities don't make excuses. Great universities make commitments."

Wofford did not explicitly argue that the University should increase its financial contributions, instead advocating that students should ramp up their civic service and institute widespread "service learning" initiatives. "Our contribution to Providence should be qualitatively higher and shouldn't be financial at all," he said.

Noble said he could not argue with the benefit of increasing civic involvement and said the real question at hand was a financial one. "As someone with a firsthand look into all the things we have to postpone every year, it can be a little depressing. If people realized all the things the University would be giving up with these tough choices, they might think twice," he said. "We have to make tough choices. I know it's a cliche, but it's the truth."

Students in the audience said it can be difficult to feel invested in the long-term relationship between the University and Providence.

"As a student who's here for only four years ... it's in everyone's best interest to maximize what they get out of Brown, rather than what Brown gets out of a relationship with Providence," said Alyssa Garrett '15.

But others defended the city. "Brown is an institution that can pay but isn't," said Aaron Regunberg '12.

The debate was put on by the Janus Political Union and was triggered by a "lack of public rigorous discussion" on the topic, said Harpo Jaeger '14, director of the union.

Debaters and audience alike were aware of the implications of Brown's actions in the coming months.

"Brown's decision will affect the action of other institutions," Regunberg said.

"These debates aren't happening in a vacuum," Wofford said. "The whole world is really watching what we're doing."

A previous version of this article stated that both sides of the debate agreed the University should not increase its financial contributions to Providence. In fact, Ben Wofford '14.5, a member of the student group Brown for Providence, did advocate increasing the amount the University pays the city while also increasing its civic contributions. The Herald regrets the error.