Letter: Column voices need for feminist support

To the Editor:

In a Tuesday column ("A call for women's activists," March 13), Leigh Thomas '15 wrote, "We have not shaken the need for dialogue about feminism, gender issues (or) women's rights." As the coordinators of Feminists at Brown, we could not agree more. In fact, we originally intended to begin a new club called Feminist Activists at Brown but were denied approval by the Undergraduate Council of Students and therefore instead merged with the already-existing group Feminists at Brown. While we may not be the largest or most active group on campus, we do exist and are constantly trying to recruit new members and gather ideas for new projects. We encourage any student who would like to address the current attack on women's health - whether through an event or an awareness campaign - to contact us, because our sole purpose for taking over Feminists at Brown was to facilitate a space for students to become involved in feminist activism.

Thomas wrote that she "actively attempted to seek out student organizations targeting feminist issues" and, upon finding such organizations, decided that "there needs to be more of a culture of support for their efforts, as well as greater visibility of feminist activism." We would indeed greatly appreciate more support, and so we encourage Thomas and others interested in feminist activism to come to our meetings, get on our listserv or otherwise become involved with what we hope to accomplish.

Lily Goodspeed '13