Xu Wenli, senior fellow in international studies, said the changing economic and political atmosphere in China will gradually lead to a more democratic culture in a lecture called "China: Great Changes Ahead" Tuesday evening. The lecture, hosted by the Asian American Students Association, was part of the University's Year of China initiative.

Foundations for political change in China are being laid every day, he said. Xu's own life is a testament to this statement - he has been arrested twice, and he spent a total of 16 years in prison for his involvement in pro-democracy opposition movements in China. On Christmas Eve in 2003, he was exiled to the United States and became a fellow at the Watson Institute of International Studies. He is currently chairman of the China Democracy Party, the formation of which led to his second arrest in 1998. He is also chairman of the Caring for China Center, which raises awareness of humanitarian issues, said Larry Au '14, Xu's secretary, who translated Xu's lecture for the audience members who did not understand Mandarin. Au, a BlogDailyHerald contributor, is also historian of the Asian American Students Association.

The event gathered about 40 audience members in Wilson. Xu was an expressive and dynamic speaker, often evoking laughter from the audience. He used metaphors - via his translator - to describe China's economic and political climate. Prior to reform in 1978, Xu compared China's economy to a race where "everyone had to walk the same pace." He added, "When we started allowing people to become richer, people started moving at different paces."

Xu discussed two fundamental principles that are necessary for establishing a democratic system. The first is self-autonomy, which he said is beginning to take hold in China as the central government interferes less frequently in the affairs of its provinces. Xu illustrated the second principle, ownership of private property, with an example. In China, officials can simply tell property-owners, "Get out of your home - we're building a highway over your house," he said, while an American homeowner in a similar situation could sue for compensation. But Xu added that property rights are becoming increasingly respected in China.

Xu stressed that the political system of any country is related to the economy, citing modernization as an underlying cause of China's 1911 revolution. He commented on the current inequalities in trade between China and the U.S., lamenting that many high-quality products made in China are sold only in the U.S. The leaders of the country should make sure the highest quality products stay within their country, he said, adding, "I believe every person deserves the same amount of respect and human rights, and therefore we shouldn't be treated any differently in China."

The main obstacle to democratic progress, he said, is the need to change what Chinese people believe and value. He listed cases of fake eggs and tainted milk powder as examples of a weak respect for the rule of law, in contrast to the U.S., where the president can be impeached for lying. He emphasized that he was not criticizing students from China - rather, he said the responsibility for this problem lies with the older generation.

But he said great change is coming to China that will have a profoundly beneficial impact. Social media is one contributor to these trends that will one day bring about democracy. When that day comes, he said he will go back to China, no matter how old he is. "It's a beautiful country," he said. 

Au, the translator, added that when Xu returns to China, "he hopes he can continue to be of service to his country." Though he will be 70 years old next year, Xu still feels young - "interacting with Brown students is what makes him feel younger," Au said.

Michelle Kwok '15, a student in Xu's seminar, INTL 1800D: "Survey of Chinese Democracy and Chinese Contemporary History," attended the event and described Xu as a "really interesting and approachable" professor. 

Dylan Wu '13 also attended the lecture and said he appreciated hearing Xu's insight. "It's rare to have an occasion to hear from someone who has personally experienced Communist rule and has been oppressed by the government," Wu said.