Harvard will not reinvest with HEI

Harvard announced Sunday that it would not reinvest in HEI Hotels and Resorts in light of ongoing criticism of the company's reportedly unfair labor practices, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

The Crimson reported that student groups and movements at Harvard - such as the Student Labor Action Movement and Occupy Harvard - were extremely vocal in their opposition to the relationship following Princeton's decision in February to split with the company.

Brown announced its decision not to reinvest in HEI February 2011, becoming the first college to stop investing. Yale, Penn, Cornell, Vanderbilt and Swarthmore have also decided over the last year not to reinvest. 

Harvard's decision came after months of deliberation on the issue, the Crimson reported. 

Catholic college rescinds Kennedy's invitation

Anna Maria College, a Roman Catholic College in Massachusetts, recently revoked its invitation to Vicky Kennedy, wife of the late Senator Edward Kennedy, to speak at its commencement ceremony. The college had also intended to award Kennedy with an honorary degree.

USA Today reported the decision was made after Bishop Robert McManus suggested Kennedy was an inappropriate choice for the Catholic college because of her vocal support of gay rights, abortion and health care insurance coverage of contraception, which stand in opposition to the Church's positions.  

In a press release, the college said that "as a small, Catholic college," its decision was impacted highly by the Bishop's comments but also said it sent an apology to Kennedy. 

Kennedy responded by pointing out that she identifies with the Catholic faith despite the bishop's "judgment" of her positions, the Huffington Post reported.

Vindication for Virginia Tech 

A judge for the U.S. Department of Education overturned a previous decision that declared Virginia Tech University in violation of federal law due to its failure to launch an appropriate response to the April 2007 campus shootings that took the lives of 33 students.

In a previous decision, the judge ruled that the university acted negligently because it failed to deliver warning of the shooting early on and did not abide by its own emergency policy, according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.