Letter: Quote misrepresents squash team culture

To the Editor:

I was quoted in Tuesday's Herald ("Athletes struggle against 'dumb jock' stereotype," April 24) as saying that "there is culture of drinking on the squash team," but this is not the case. Alcohol is indeed a part of the college experience, and it is certainly an obstacle for all college athletes, but, in retrospect, it was a mistake to discuss the relationship between alcohol and athletics without being very careful not to let my message be confused with athletic stereotypes that we all can slip into using much too easily.

The major point I wanted to make in discussing alcohol was that it is a large obstacle to many athletes because the culture of drinking at college in general is so prevalent, and it is especially a shock coming into college as a freshman and simultaneously maintaining athletic performance. Unfortunately, it came across that I believed there to be a drinking culture on the squash team. But this culture is not at all specific to the squash team nor to athletics nor even to Brown, but to college in general, and it is something that is especially relevant to athletes only because they rely on the condition of their bodies to compete.

My experience with athletics and, indeed, my overall experience at Brown has been about choices because there isn't enough time to do everything. Fraternities are another choice that incoming students face. They can be a large commitment and thus detract from athletics in the same way academics or any other worthwhile commitment does: by consuming time and energy, which are limited. 

I want to apologize to my teammates whom I have offended and grossly misrepresented. Overall, the squash team has proven year after year to be the most outstanding group of student-athletes of all the squash teams we compete against. I want to especially apologize to my coach, who has always led our team in the right direction both on and off the court. He has always been exceptionally helpful and easy to communicate with, no matter what issues players are going through. He has always been very accommodating to our academic priorities and our lives outside of squash. He has not only been a great squash coach, but a great life coach for all of us.

Brad Thompson '12

Captain of the men's squash team