Letter: UN negotiations unwelcoming to outsiders

To the Editor:

I am currently an undergraduate student at American University studying environmental science and global environmental politics. I also attended the Durban negotiations, and after reading the article about them ("Climate lab reports on UN negotiations," April 6), I felt compelled to reply. I was struck by the resounding optimism that was expressed by your contributors. I agree with Spencer Fields '12, who is quoted calling the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change "eye-opening," though in my opinion, it shed light onto the somewhat chaotic and unfair nature of international environmental politics.

I wonder if the Brown attendees shared my feelings of disappointment that most of the action occurred behind closed doors. My own reaction to this predicament was to sneak into the high-level meetings before the security arrived to scan badges, since they would surely have turned away myself as well as my peers given our NGO status.

Ultimately, I was dismayed at the lack of influence most of the attendees, including many of the smaller developing nations, had on the actual negotiations. Essentially, the convention was a back-and-forth squabble between the most influential world players over dominance and power, which produced few solutions. While J. Timmons Roberts, professor of sociology and environmental studies, may consider the talks to have been a "global turning point," I would have to politely disagree.

Amelia Sklaroff