Carey '91 MA'06 takes top U. planning post

Russell Carey '91 MA'06, former senior vice president for corporation affairs and governance, took over for Richard Spies, former executive vice president for planning and senior adviser to the president, after Spies stepped down July 1. Carey now holds the modified title of executive vice president for planning and policy, former president Ruth Simmons wrote in an email to the community June 6.

"Russell will work closely with President-elect Christina Paxson, the provost, the executive vice president for finance and administration, the Corporation and members of the community to ensure effective University-wide efforts in planning and policy, in keeping with the University's overall mission," Simmons wrote.

Though the title has changed, Spies told The Herald his successor would handle similar responsibilities in a June interview. The addition to the title is a "recognition that we're just at a different stage," he said, citing new projects like the upcoming expansion of the School of Engineering.

"I think it reflects a different sense of how to organize planning, a different sense of where Brown is in its needs," Spies said. "It reflects (Paxson) putting together a leadership team in a somewhat different way, based on what she thinks will be most effective for the next decade."

Carey stressed the importance of having a plan when Paxson first takes office. 

Paxson has "talked about undertaking a planning process in the first year," he said in June, highlighting issues like furthering the University's relationship with Providence. Carey added that the plan would "unfold" as Paxson navigates the coming months.

Spies announced in February his intention to step down at the end of the calendar year, five months after Simmons said she would not be returning for a 12th year as University president. Spies completed his primary duties and left office in July, though he remains on campus to fulfill other responsibilities until December.

Carey will continue to oversee the Corporation office while in the executive vice president position, though he will primarily serve Paxson's presidency.

"When you're in these positions, you work closely with the president and closely with other senior officers and other members of the team," Carey said. "My expectation is that I'll continue to have a part in that team."

Carey said his work over the summer mainly consisted of preparing for the planning process that will take place during the academic year.

"I've been spending a lot of time this summer getting to know people, some of whom I knew, some of whom I didn't, and who are leaders in the community that Brown has connections to," he said. "(Getting) involved in those relationships," he added, is key to fulfilling the responsibilities of the new position.

Carey has held several positions in Simmons' administration, including student life officer, assistant to the provost and assistant to the president. Named to his current position in 2008, he "led the University's comprehensive enterprise risk assessment and planning function, which has been cited as a national model," staffed the presidential search committee and has been a key figure in Paxson's transition process, Simmons wrote in her email.

Spies expressed enthusiasm for Carey's selection.

"He doesn't have to get up to speed," Spies said. "He doesn't have to question the basic goals that have been set - he was part of setting them."

"Brown will be a better place because of the work he does and because of the team he is a part of," Spies added. 

Carey said he looks forward to contributing further to the University. 

"I've had a great experience at Brown, both as an undergraduate and in the administration," he said. "I'm very pleased and grateful to have the opportunity to continue that."