Letter: Protesting intolerance

To the Editor:

I am writing in response to Cara Newlon's '14.5 editorial about Brown's medical leave policy for students ("A pattern of prejudice," Sept. 19). Brown's medical leave policy was formulated with two primary aims: (1) to encourage students to prioritize their health care, and (2) to support students in their academic success. In other words, there are moments when a student's health might require more attention than it can be given while enrolled in a semester, and we want to encourage students and their families to make good decisions about when a student might not be able to perform academically at his or her potential because of a health issue that is interfering. These are the moments when we talk to students about taking a medical leave. 

The two-semester time frame is a general parameter for medical leaves to permit treatment and "a sustained period of recovery" that helps to ensure that students are ready to return and take on a full course load. When a student submits a request to return from medical leave, even after one semester away, each case is evaluated individually with careful consideration of any supporting documentation from the student's health care provider. It is not common that a one semester leave will allow for a period of recovery when dealing with a complicated medical issue, but it can. In situations where a student has a rapid or dramatic improvement and the health care provider supports a return to university, we will approve a return. 

Ms. Newlon is concerned that it is difficult for students to take courses at other universities while on leave. The transfer of course credits is a separate issue and is dependent on how the University evaluates academic credit hours. In many cases, the decision about taking courses at another university is going to depend on how well a student is feeling and how much time he or she needs to devote to their treatment or recovery.  For some students, a part-time courseload could work and would allow for some academic progress. For others, they need the time to get better and will wait until their return to Brown to continue their studies.

For all medical issues, the Offices of the Dean of the College and Campus Life work with students to manage their individual circumstances with the aim that they return to Brown ready to be successful in reaching their academic goals. Personal leaves are not intended for situations where a medical condition is the reason for the leave, and we have been more careful in the review of leave requests to make sure that they are managed appropriately. A student taking a leave because of a family emergency, job opportunity, or some other interest should have a different process for leave and return. 

For students who would like more information about leave-taking, please consult the websites for the Offices of Student Life and the Dean of the College. Deans are also willing to meet and discuss these options. 

Margaret Klawunn

Vice president for campus life and student services