Bears find new asst. coach to fill recent vacancies

J.J. Riese joined the Bears last week as an assistant coach of track and field. Coming from Syracuse University, he will work specifically with sprinters and hurdlers. His arrival comes on the heels of a six-week span that saw three track and field coaches leave Brown, making Riese the first of their replacements.
Riese guided several athletes to success during his time at Syracuse, including hurdler Jarret Eaton, who won the 60-meter hurdle race at the 2012 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships. He was the first Syracuse athlete ever to win an individual event in an NCAA championship.
"The level of his recommendations first got him on our radar," said Tim Springfield, interim director of track and field. "The head coach of Syracuse called me and said, 'You should hire this guy.'"
Springfield said Riese's "high level of energy and excitement" shone through when Riese was interviewed. He added that he was impressed with Riese's technical knowledge and that the new assistant coach is "extremely organized and hard-working."
"He's young and energetic, so I feel like he's going to be a good fit," said Nathan Elder '13, a captain of indoor track and field. "From the little bit I've seen, he definitely brings a willingness and desire for us all to be 100 percent."
More coaches will likely be brought in to help with the jumps and throws squads, Springfield said. Riese's experience working with jumpers may also be helpful until a new jumps coach is selected.
Riese's first day of work was Tuesday, and Springfield acknowledged that Riese had to "hit the ground running" because of the recent changes to the coaching staff.
"I think he is going to bring a consistency for the team," Elder said. "Especially for sprints, where being intense is usually a beneficial thing."