The following summary includes a selection of major incidents reported to the Department of Public Safety between Sept. 16 and Oct. 8. It does not include general service and alarm calls. The Providence Police Department also responds to incidents occurring off campus. DPS does not divulge information on cases that are currently under investigation by the department, PPD or the Office of Student Life. DPS maintains a daily log of all shift activity and general service calls, which can be viewed during business hours at its headquarters, located at 75 Charlesfield St.

Sept. 16

1:03 p.m. A Providence College student reported his bicycle was stolen from the bike rack behind Dyer House while he was attending chorus practice in Steinert Hall. The 21-speed red Schwinn was taken Sept. 15 between 9 a.m. and 3:40 p.m.

9:45 p.m. A student reported that his backpack, left unattended in the basement of Sharpe Refectory, was stolen. The bag contained ballroom dancing shoes and a MacBook Air.  

Sept. 17 

11:38 p.m. A student at the Rhode Island School of Design reported being approached by an unidentified male while talking on her cellphone near the Watson Institute for International Studies. The man, wearing a gray sweatshirt and jeans, forcefully grabbed the phone from her hand and fled on foot. Providence and Brown police searched the area but were not able to locate the suspect. 

Sept. 18

7:35 p.m. A student reported that $73 was stolen from his wallet while he was at club ice hockey practice. He said at least three other players also had items stolen. 

Sept. 19

1:38 p.m. An employee reported her bicycle was stolen from a bike rack between the Jonathan Nelson '77 Fitness Center and the Olney-Margolies Athletic Center. The cable lock was also taken. 

Sept. 27

10:33 a.m. A Rockefeller Library employee reported that a card reader for copy machines had been stolen. 

Sept. 30

4:08 a.m. A student reported that at a party in Sears House she was told she could place her coat in the basement women's bathroom around 2:30 a.m. She stated her cell phone was in the coat's pocket. When she went to retrieve the coat at 4 a.m., the student said the pocket was unzipped, and the phone was gone. 

Oct. 8

1:20 p.m. A swim coach reported that his bicycle was taken from the rack on the north side of the Nelson Fitness Center sometime between 10:40 a.m. Oct. 6 and 7:40 p.m. Oct. 7. The cable lock on the bicycle had been cut.