Ingber '15: America should support Israel

America's strong support of Israel both reinforces our core values and furthers our strategic interests - a rare combination in international politics. By supporting the only true democracy in the region, we endorse fundamental values such as gender equality and representative government while also gaining a key ally in the fight against Islamic fundamentalism and autocracy. Our continued support for Israel rests principally upon shared core values, strategic importance and technological development.

It is misguided and ignorant to question the validity of Israel's democracy. Vibrant and robust, Israel's government represents the diverse Israeli population. In the Middle East, where true democracy is rare, the United States has a duty to support democracies. While some might argue that Israel enforces apartheid, any historically aware person knows this is not true. While blacks were excluded from all civic life in South African apartheid, Israeli Arabs are fully enfranchised. Israeli Arabs serve in the Israeli parliament, and one even sits on the bench of the Israeli Supreme Court. Women have had suffrage since Israel's founding in 1948, and religious minorities enjoy full religious freedom. These societal norms reflect our own values and thus warrant strong support.

Israel also serves as a key partner for military and security operations. Our military partnership results in improved tactics, nuanced ethics and technological advancements. Together we fight extremism and those who declare that democracy will soon fall to an Islamic caliphate - as those in Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran frequently claim. Israel works tirelessly to fight terrorist groups and undermine their tactical ability and infrastructure. Some might argue that Israel is a militaristic society, but no other country must fight consistently for its right to exist. Israel must maintain its strategic edge.

Our strong financial and moral support for Israel also results in incredible technological strides. With the highest percentage of PhDs in the world, Israel has contributed scientists who have played a direct role in developing the Intel microchip, Microsoft Office, camera phones, voicemail, instant messenger and the search algorithm used by Google. Drip irrigation was also developed in Israel as well as ecologically productive devices such as electric car models. While these might not seem relevant to American government, just remember that an Israeli-made bandage saved Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords' life. This bandage is now standard in almost all army units and ambulances.

I understand that some might disagree with Israeli policies such as settlement construction and certain military procedures. In fact, good friends of Israel should criticize its policies that we disagree with. But let us remember that it is when America's support for Israel is the strongest that Israel makes the boldest moves towards peace. We need to continue moving in that direction.

Zach Ingber '15 would love to talk regardless of your views. He can be contacted at zachary_ingber@brown.edu.