Belinda Johnson, director of Psychological Services, will retire at the end of this year, wrote Margaret Klawunn, vice president for campus life and student services, in an email Friday.
Johnson will step down after 20 years as director and 35 years with Psychological Services, where she started as a psychotherapist.
During her time as director, Johnson led the computerization of Psych Services' office in 1989 and the addition of a full-time psychiatrist and prescribing services in 2005.
"I've always wanted Psych Services to give high-quality health care to students and to be really available when students need us," Johnson said.
Klawunn also identified sexual assault services, medical leaves and crisis management as three important issues that Johnson addressed.
"It's been a wonderful place to work," Johnson said. She said she has enjoyed working with Brown students, whom she has found to be thoughtful, creative and invested in self-discovery.
"Linda has served many Brown students and families and has been an important resource for colleagues who value her intelligence, insight and clear thinking about even the most complicated situations," Klawunn wrote in an email to campus life staff. A celebration commemorating Johnson's contributions will take place later in the year, she wrote.  
Though Johnson said it will be up to a new director to determine future goals for Psych Services, she said she would like to see a successor that is thoughtful about his or her work and cares greatly about the students. A new director will be appointed following a national search by the University.