R.I. legislature gears up for next session

The upcoming Rhode Island legislative session will open Jan. 1, and strong leaders from both parties are looking to have a marked impact this season.

The Rhode Island Democratic caucus unanimously endorsed Sen. M. Teresa Paiva Weed, D-Newport, for reelection to the Office of President of the Senate and elected Sen. Dominick Ruggerio, D-Providence and North Providence, as Senate Majority Leader. 

At the Republican caucus, Rep. Brian Newberry, R-North Smithfield, and Rep. Joseph Trillo, R-Warwick, were unanimously re-elected as House Minority Leader and Minority Whip, respectively. 

Ruggerio laid out goals for the state in his caucus speech. "We will seek to further improve education, protect the environment and improve the quality of life for all Rhode Islanders," he said.

Paiva Weed also expressed her excitement to begin to fight toward building a stronger state through initiatives such as re-investment in tax credits, stimulating economic growth, creating jobs and revitalizing communities.

The Republicans - who hold six seats in the General Assembly - also have an ambitious plan. "Over the next two years, the House Republicans intend to introduce a pro-growth agenda," Newberry said at the caucus. "We can provide ideas and analysis for public debate and promote an alternative to the stasis that for too long the leadership of the state has promoted."

With the unified goal of moving the state forward, many hope the upcoming session brings a vote on same-sex marriage. Maryland, Maine and Washington all voted to legalize same-sex marriage in last week's election, and many feel the Ocean State is not far behind.

According to Ray Sullivan, spokesperson for Marriage Equality Rhode Island, the state is closer than ever before to passing legislation on same-sex marriage - last week saw ground-shifting momentum. Pro-equality candidates were resoundingly elected, and five new pro-equality senators were elected to the Rhode Island Senate.  

Given the momentum up to this point, MERI is looking forward to working with House Speaker Gordon Fox, D-Providence, when he calls a vote on this issue in January, Sullivan said. "2013 is going to be the year for marriage equality," he added.

The Brown Democrats have been working "hand in hand with Marriage Equality Rhode Island ... to lobby senators, talk to members of our community, to get as many people involved in pressuring representatives and senators to pass this legislation," said the group's president, Sofia Fernandez Gold '14.  

"As of late, we have seen in last week's election a tide of support for marriage equality," she said. "This is indicative of where the country is heading, and it would be wonderful if Rhode Island could be the next state to support equality."