Romero '14: Creating safe spaces at Brown

"Write something that someone might disagree with. What's the point of making an argument when you don't have anything to push against?"

This is what my English professor tells my class before writing essays. An essay should first and foremost contain a provocative idea that may rouse disagreement. This philosophy is one that I have had to get used to, since my personal inclination is to describe something, point out interesting aspects about that something and then leave it at that. Where's the argument though? To make a point is not enough - one has to take into consideration the social phenomenon of debate and adapt one's ideas to fit an argumentative mode of discourse. This notion makes perfect sense to me, but I can't help but think about the boundaries and responsibilities of making arguments, especially in a public forum. I think a lot about boundaries and safe spaces when I'm making a provocative point through speech or writing. 

Making provocative, headline-grabbing arguments can produce great pull quotes but don't really get to the heart of what is important in any given argument. Most bad conflicts I've witnessed don't stem from a fundamental difference in opinion or values, but a difference in presentation. The need to be provocative and argumentative creates inherently unsafe spaces at Brown and beyond.

Looking for examples of an unsafe space? Log on to Facebook and read your friends' political statuses and see how unproductive those discussions can be. Google "presidential debate 2012" and read the comments, most of which serve to create an environment where civil discourse is impossible. Hell, you don't even need to go that far. Just listen to the people around you, and if they talk about any conflicts they've had with other people, note what they're really fighting about. Most times it's not about the message, it's about the presentation.

Let's be real: Most spaces of discourse are unsafe. We all know what these discussions look like, but what does a safe space look like?

Let me give an example. I am currently a facilitator for Brown's Workshop on Male Sexuality, MSex. What we try to do in MSex is cultivate a safe and sensitive atmosphere where people can talk about things relating to their sexuality without the fear of being negatively judged. We're only human, but we all try our best to be constructive in our thoughts, words and facial reactions. The feelings of others should not be taken lightly, so we try to word our statements to be as caring as we can be.

But there's something problematic about having to try so hard to cultivate this type of space. If MSex and similar groups such as FemSex attempt to create safe spaces, that means that unsafe spaces are the norm at Brown and beyond.

There are many unsafe spaces here at Brown and in the world beyond our beloved College Hill, and they don't just take place in online forums. In my classes I see people roll their eyes and scoff at other people's experiences. I hear people disagree with each other in obnoxious tones meant to intimidate. I see the nation's vice president laughing at every statement that his political opponent makes. But why laugh instead of calmly and articulately disproving your opponent's point?

If you write an argumentative paper or an opinion column without taking a provocative and interesting stance, you're probably in trouble. But if you write one of these with intentionally combative language which marginalizes the opinions of others, you're in worse territory.

What the heck is my argument, then? My big argument is that I think that all of us could adjust our language in order to have more productive and civil debate with others. I think that aggressive language and tone further isolate us from each other and make argumentative discussions frustrating and even frightening. I think that you're better off checking yourself before you say something that will derail a chance at having civil discourse. I urge everyone reading this to help foster a safe space at Brown today. When you're talking to someone, actually listen to what they're saying. If you disagree, do so respectfully. Thank people for their time, even if you disagree with everything they say.

Doing these things won't automatically weaken your argument or make you soft. Taking these steps will help you be more balanced and make you respect the person you're talking to. Most importantly, it'll help you listen to what they have to say, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. We will make better, more convincing arguments if we foster safe spaces at Brown and beyond - and we'll be able to do so without yelling down each other's throats for a change.

David Romero '14 occasionally slips up in unsafe ways, but is getting better at it day by day. He can be reached at David_Romero@brown.edu.