Letter: Marijuana should be regulated, not prohibited

To the Editor:

The Coalition for Marijuana Regulation held a press conference Wednesday announcing the introduction of Bill H5274 into the Rhode Island legislature, a bill that would regulate and tax marijuana at the state level (“Bill would legalize marijuana in R.I.,” Feb. 7). The bill will be carried by Rep. Edith Ajello, D-Providence, and State Sen. Donna Nesselbush ’84, D-Pawtucket, will be carrying a similar bill in the Senate. Students for Sensible Drug Policy, a student group at Brown, is working with the coalition to advocate for the regulation of marijuana in order to make our communities safer while also taking steps to right the many injustices associated with the so-called “war on drugs.”

Marijuana prohibition does not eliminate use or production and does not decrease availability. For decades, four out of five high school seniors have consistently reported marijuana is easy to obtain. Prohibition simply steers profits to criminals in the illegal market who might sell other, harder drugs. Right now those who buy marijuana are crossing a legal boundary. Once that boundary is crossed, the line between marijuana and harder drugs becomes blurred.

The marijuana decriminalization bill that was signed into Rhode Island law last summer will reduce marijuana arrests. However, because decriminalization doesn’t impact the illegal market, it will do little to make our communities safer. If we’re serious about gaining control over the marijuana market, regulation is the only way to go. It’s time we take a sensible approach to marijuana policy.

Natalie Van Houten ’14

President, Students for Sensible Drug Policy