Editorial: Registering the armed

Hundreds of gun rights supporters gathered at the Rhode Island State House Feb. 28 to protest proposed legislation that would add firearm registration to Rhode Island’s comprehensive gun control laws. Under House Bill 5573, introduced Feb. 14 by Rep. Linda Finn, D-Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, it would be illegal to possess a firearm in Rhode Island without registering the gun and personal information with the local licensing authority. The registration requires a $100 fee per gun and the gun owner’s name, address and fingerprints, information that would only be disclosed to law enforcement agencies under legitimate circumstances if needed. We applaud the spirit behind the law and the intention to curb gun violence through stronger regulations while acknowledging that elements such as the $100 fee and emphasis on registration alone must be addressed.

This bill is part of a conscientious response to the Sandy Hook shootings. Colorado, a state that experienced two of the worst mass shootings in recent history, just passed a bill requiring universal background checks for firearm purchasers. A strong shift in public sentiment and awareness around the danger of unregulated firearms, combined with Rhode Island’s already tough gun control environment, give legitimacy to the call for a firearms registration. It is universally desirable to make it easier for proper authorities to access registration information when a gun is improperly discharged.

Though gun registration is a practical concept, reality has shown that it alone will not prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands. Colonel Steven O’Donnell, the superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police, has displayed much concern about the magazine capacity permitted by law and guns that are improperly registered. While local and state police are studying the Newtown massacre to come up with effective responses to heavily armed shooters, there is nothing that could be more secure than simply having fewer guns and bullets. After all, Sandy Hook was considered one of the safer schools in the region, O’Donnell told WPRI in February.

But even Finn’s proposed bill, intended to crack down on unauthorized gun ownership and promote increased accountability within communities, is not the complete solution. One of the bill’s main points of contention, the $100 per gun fee imposed on all Rhode Island gun owners, has the effect of targeting specific constituents. The first victims of the bill would be the less financially stable, many of whom live in environments that may warrant increased protection from crime. The $100 fee itself will do very little to curb gun violence: In fact, it may increase illegal possession, especially among those who cannot afford to pay the fee and may consequently circumvent the law in order to keep guns.

Despite the bill’s obvious problems, we strongly agree that some form of legislation is necessary to protect the citizens of the state from the proliferation of preventable violence evident not merely from high-profile isolated incidents, but also from the thousands of gun-related deaths that occur in America annually. This bill may not have a lasting effect on gun violence in our society, but it is promising to see our lawmakers start to take initiative for the right reasons.

A recent study found states with expansive gun laws had lower rates of deaths from gun incidents, but simply being considered safe does not always ensure safety. Registration offers a path for responsible gun ownership. Registration is not an infringement of the Second Amendment but rather further establishes it as a right that can be less threatening if exercised responsibly.

Editorials are written by The Herald’s editorial page board: its editor, Dan Jeon, and its members, Mintaka Angell, Samuel Choi, Nicholas Morley and Rachel Occhiogrosso. Send comments to editorials@browndailyherald.com.