Letter: UFB-RISD meeting meant to foster ties

Yesterday, an opinions piece printed in The Herald called into question my past year of service on the Undergraduate Finance Board (“Brooks ’13, Au ’14, Ramadan ’13, Holguin ’13, Ooi ’14 and Seyler ’15: Facing the UFB’s dysfunction,” April 16). I want to take this opportunity to respond to that article and convey my gratitude for allowing me to serve as your UFB Vice Chair. The article mistakenly recounts a meeting I had with a Rhode Island School of Design administrator as an occasion “to select a set of Category III student groups that publish material from both colleges.” This is untrue. The goal of the meeting was to establish a relationship with the RISD source of student group funding and garner an understanding of how their system works. Additionally, only at the end of our meeting did we discuss the possibility of RISD providing support to joint groups, so that UFB would have funds to provide the services currently present at RISD to Brown students, such as funding food and service groups. I was happy with the meeting; a good relationship was made that day. Over the year, UFB has worked hard to ensure that student activities at Brown are great. We created a $300,000 supplemental budget so that no request has to go unfunded next year for reason of budget constrictions. It has been my honor serving as UFB Vice Chair this year, working with student groups, seeing them do awesome things on and off campus, and if given the chance, I will work hard so that, together, we can better Brown.

Daniel Pipkin ’14

UFB Vice Chair