Editors' note: Dear Class of 2017

Welcome to Brown

Dear Class of 2017,

Welcome to Brown. This first edition of The Herald, informally called the “Orientation Issue,” is for you.

In your time here, expect to be challenged by your peers, your professors and yourselves. The Brown experience varies from student to student — maybe you’ll join an a cappella group or attend a naked party. Perhaps you’ll take classes in 17 different departments, or perhaps you’ll stick to four or five favorites. You’ll likely develop positions on debates as heated as Nice Slice versus Antonio’s and the Sciences Library versus the John D. Rockefeller Library (also known as the SciLi and the Rock). And you’ll hear stories of the recently departed former President Ruth Simmons and witness some of the formative first steps of President Christina Paxson’s tenure.

As you find your footing at Brown, prepare to become an informed member of the campus and community. This is where we come in. The Herald prints five days a week when classes are in session, covering news from the University, the city and the state. We report on Brown-affiliated science and research, the campus arts scene and Brunonian sports. Every Thursday, The Herald publishes Post-, a magazine known for its snarky commentary on food, arts and sex (but mostly sex). Online, you can stay updated about goings-on at Brown through our blog, Blogdailyherald.com, as well as our 24/7 news site, Browndailyherald.com. If social media is your thing, like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram.

Located at 195 Angell St., The Herald is independent from the University and entirely student run, both in our editorial content and in our business operations. If you want to get involved, come by our information sessions and training workshops, which will be held in the coming weeks. And even if you don’t want to join The Herald, we welcome your feedback and input, as well as contributions to our opinions content.

Good luck with your first year on College Hill. We know you’ll thrive.

Editors’ notes are written by the editors-in-chief.