Fifteen buildings lose power on first day

Many classes met despite loss of power yesterday after damage to an electrical feeder

Twenty-four classes were held without power, and 10 were moved from Sayles Hall to alternate locations between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Wednesday, wrote Marisa Quinn, vice president of public affairs and University relations in an email to The Herald.

Fifteen campus buildings lost power due to a damaged electrical feeder Wednesday morning, she wrote. The feeder was damaged during excavation work related to the Building for Environmental Research and Teaching project. Facilities Management staff members contacted professors scheduled to teach in the four affected buildings that were due to hold classes — Sayles, Robinson Hall, Corliss-Brackett House and Rhode Island Hall — and informed them of the problem, she wrote.

The power was already out in Sayles when Sonya Gurwitt ’16 arrived to shop FREN 1510A: “Advanced Oral and Written French: Traduction” at 10 a.m.

“The professor couldn’t show her things on Canvas, but I felt it worked out fine,” she said.

Power returned to 10 of the 15 buildings by 12:30 p.m. Sayles regained power through the use of a temporary generator around 2 p.m., and full power was due to be restored by Wednesday evening, Quinn wrote.

One building of the 15 remained without power as of 3 p.m. Wednesday, with the Medical Research Lab remaining “off-line” at that time, she wrote.