Women's golf's season-best showing yields fourth place finish

Hsieh ’15 and Flynn ’16 both finished in the top 20 among individuals in the season’s final tournament

In one of its best showings of the year, the women’s golf team finished fourth out of 10 teams at this weekend’s University of Delaware Fall Invitational, ending the fall season well after a season plagued by inconsistent play.

The host team won the tournament, shooting a 57-over 909 in three rounds. Penn finished 16 strokes behind in second, with Rollins University coming in third.

The Bears shot a 959 to claim a distant fourth — 30 strokes behind third-place Rollins —  just one stroke ahead of fifth-place Towson University.

“I was pretty happy with the overall effort,” said Head Coach Danielle Griffiths.

“We ended the season on a high,” Stephanie Hsieh ’15 added. “This was the best we have collectively played this season.”

Though they were happy to finish so strongly, the players were not fully satisfied with their efforts.

“We all played well, but we all could have played better,” Hsieh said.

Rosanna Lederhausen ’17 agreed, saying, “We’re happy, but at the same time, we can do a lot better. … We have so much more potential.”

The team’s overall showing was bolstered by great individual performances.

Hsieh led the way, finishing tied for eighth individually at 19 strokes over par. Lauren Flynn ’16 joined her in the top 20, firing off a consistent 78-80-78 to finish in 15th place four strokes behind Hsieh.

Griffiths had kind words for her low scorers. She said Hsieh “carried us this fall” and noted that Flynn “came on strong. … I’m hoping to see some great things from her.”

Lederhausen was the third lowest scorer for Bruno, finishing 23rd, five strokes behind Flynn. “I didn’t play all that well,” she said. She was not discouraged by her performance, though, saying, “It’ll get better soon.”

With its fall slate complete, the team looks forward to a long winter of practice in preparation for the spring season. “We ended on a good note, but have some things to work on,” Griffiths said. “The key right now is working hard over the break.”

The Bears face an uphill battle to stay in form over the winter — forced to practice indoors because of the Providence snow — but if they can maintain their form, they stand to make some noise in the Ivy League in 2014.