I love my country. I really, truly do. I never cease to be moved by the words in the Constitution and awed at the grandeur of Washington, D.C. I’m the weirdo you see outside the White House with my face pressed against the fence. Last summer, I cried at a 9/11 exhibit.

Does this sound cliched or cloyed to you? It does to me, too. But this doesn’t make it any less true.

Still, I don’t often let other people know how I feel about my country. We in our liberal, Scandinavia-loving, sports-indifferent enclave, always seem to feel the need to apologize for the United States. While traveling, I am always rather embarrassed to tell people I’m American. They often raise their eyebrows, and I feel the need to add a caveat like “I didn’t vote for him” or “We’re not all like that. I promise.”

And there’s the problem. Probably in reaction to strident American exceptionalism, American students at Brown — and likely at other schools — lack genuine vocal pride in their country. It has become almost chic to sigh, roll your eyes, and lament that we aren’t more like Sweden. To distance ourselves from what we perceive as blind nationalism, many of us completely forgo expressing genuine appreciation for our nation. The inundation of patriotic sentiment from the right and other public figures has made cynics of us.

Hence we find the ironic brand of patriotism characteristic of our generation and our university — American flag cutoffs, so-called “’Murica” memes, et cetera. Half of the country sincerely buys into this culture, and the other half participates as a mockery to that style of thought. Cynicism of this sort breeds insincerity and apathy. We decry the political right for its thoughtless allegiance, but are we really that much better? I can’t tell you how many empty threats to move to Canada I heard around campus during the last election.

Unless we are having constructive conversations about how realistically to improve our nation through engagement with all schools of political thought, liberals are guilty of the same careless parroting. It’s so easy to sit around in our grand lecture halls and complain about America while feeling superior to those who revere it. The difficult, more fulfilling path is to reflect on what your country means to you, to consider how to make it better and to connect with people who don’t think like you.

Those who insist on comparing the United States to Scandinavia and Canada would do well to recall that America is vast and far more diverse than any of the nations to which we compare ourselves. We have a swarm of political dissent and activism that is constantly roiling with new opinions, missions and ideologies. Is it any wonder compromise is difficult?

It’s true the United States has myriad problems. The government shutdown was an embarrassment, and grumblings about the incompetence and intractability of our government are deserved. Still, dissatisfaction at how the nation operates is not grounds for dismissive attitudes.

I’m not saying the United States has nothing to apologize for, or that we should go around trumpeting our preeminence. Patriotism is a double-edged sword. The trick is to love America like an adult ­— acknowledge its flaws, appreciate its strengths and do something to make it a better place.

What is patriotism in America today? Not American flag Ray-Bans. Not turning up your nose at the Brown Republicans. To me, it’s finding common ground with your countrymen. Making progress, not noise. Recognizing that we are extremely lucky to call this place home.

As hackneyed as it sounds, I love my country because I believe in the principles on which it was founded, and I love where I grew up. America is unique, glorious, vast and overflowing with diversity, possibility and optimism. I have had the privilege of traveling to many other nations. I’ve seen stunning beauty and met wonderful people elsewhere. But nothing will ever compare to home.

I urge you to reflect on your relationship with this country. Do you think everyone who criticizes America is a terrorist, or do you condemn America when it comes up in conversation with international company? I hope you fall somewhere in between — aware of America’s shortcomings but eager to rectify them because you believe in this grand project of which we are all a part.

The World War Two generation had a global fight against evil to unite them. The Baby Boomers had one of the greatest periods of economic growth in history. We have the task of perpetuating America and its principles without clear enemies or unqestioned growth. Be proud of your country. Invest in making it better. Do not be apathetic or resigned to a suboptimal future.

Robyn Sundlee ’16 sells propane and propane accessories. She can be reached at robyn_sundlee@brown.edu.