Visiting student pleads not guilty to murder

Yongfei Ci was charged in September with the murder of his ex-girlfriend

The visiting graduate student charged with murdering his ex-girlfriend in Urbana, Ill., pled not guilty and will be evaluated by a psychiatrist, according to the Champaign County Circuit Clerk’s website.

Yongfei Ci allegedly drove from Providence to Urbana Sept. 27 and stabbed Mengchen Huang to death in her apartment, The Herald previously reported. The sixth-year graduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign was in Providence conducting research with Brown’s Institute for Computational and Experimental Research in Mathematics at the time of his arrest.

The Champaign County Court system will handle the proceedings. Ci faces one count of murder, one count of home invasion with a dangerous weapon and one count of armed and aggravated assault, according to the circuit clerk’s website.

During his preliminary hearing Oct. 22, Ci sat silently beside public defender Randall Rosenbaum, speaking only to tell the court he understood his rights and to waive his right to a preliminary hearing, the Daily Illini reported.

Rosenbaum filed a motion Nov. 8 requesting a psychiatric evaluation for his client, according to the circuit clerk’s website. Local psychiatrist Albert Lo will perform the evaluation.

Ten days later, Rosenbaum motioned to delay the pretrial, which was originally scheduled for Nov. 19, according to the website.