Storm cancels morning classes

Profs. can opt not to hold classes after 10 a.m., notifying students through Canvas

As a result of heavy snowfall and low temperatures, the University canceled classes scheduled to start before 10 a.m. Wednesday and delayed opening administrative offices until 10 a.m.

In an email sent Tuesday night to the Brown community, Provost Mark Schlissel P’15 and Elizabeth Huidekoper, executive vice president for finance and administration, wrote that classes scheduled to start after 10 a.m. will be held at professors’ discretion. Instructors who decide to cancel classes should contact their students through the course management site Canvas, Schlissel and Huidekoper wrote.

Registration for courses will proceed at 8 a.m. as planned, wrote Marisa Quinn, vice president for public affairs and University relations, in an email to The Herald.

The community-wide email included a link to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety’s Winter Storm and Blizzard Plan recommending that people remain indoors and monitor local weather forecasts during the storm. Administrators will continue to update the community with further information, Schlissel and Huidekoper wrote.

Administrators postponed University activities to allow employees to travel safely to campus and to provide time for streets and parking lots to be cleared, Quinn said in an interview.

Some students expressed concern over the storm disrupting class and travel plans throughout the day.

“It’s really difficult to get around campus when it’s snowing,” said Isabella Giancarlo ’14.

Divya Sahajwalla ’15 said she is especially worried about cancelled flights. “I have a lot of friends who are stuck at home, and I’m a little worried for them,” Sahajwalla said. “They’re not going to make it to campus by 10 a.m., let alone later.”