Upadhyay '15: A shift toward generosity

Last week, President Christina Paxson announced a new initiative for students who receive financial aid. Her effort seeks to extend funded research and work opportunities to undergraduates on a need-based criterion. This demonstrates Brown’s commitment to students who lack the financial resources of their peers, which is often ignored by individuals who are unaware of the recent changes to financial aid policy.

Paxson’s strategic plan was criticized for ignoring the economically less fortunate. Though the plan outlined a general desire for Brown to become fully need-blind, many felt it was too focused on buildings and curriculum and not focused enough on supporting those most in need. However, delving into the details of Brown’s financial aid shows that this interpretation simply doesn’t fit.

Since 2004, the average University scholarship has nearly doubled in value. In fact, including state and federal grants, total scholarship funds have more than doubled over the same time period. While these may have increased due to higher tuition costs or increased grants, it is undeniable that Brown has helped put more money in the pockets of students who need it. In fact, many aid packages are structured generously to benefit students. Because over 63 percent of financial aid is loan-free and 36 percent requires no co-contribution from parents, students now have less burdensome financial obligations in the short and long term.

Critics of these numbers may argue that there is some degree of selection bias, as many students in need of assistance are being turned away. Still, the facts fail to add up in that perspective. Nearly nine out of 10 undergraduates who applied for aid received an award, according to the University’s website.  Pell Grant funding has increased for three consecutive years.  Not only are students receiving heftier benefit packages with looser covenants, but distribution has also become appreciably equitable in recent times.

Paxson’s recent proposals to remove the financial stress of unpaid internships and guarantee funding for entry-level jobs further demonstrate the administration’s commitment to helping those who need support. With $500,000 allocated to this initiative for its first summer, the goal of full roll-out by 2018 seems highly probable. Such a program allows students who receive aid to take apprenticeship-oriented, skill-building roles without forgoing wages. On top of that, hourly pay for on-campus jobs is nearly $2 higher than Rhode Island’s minimum wage. There is no question that Brown is unwavering in its support for students receiving financial aid.

Stepping back from the figures, it is clear that students’ perceptions of our leaders are unjustified. Paxson is lambasted for not making Brown completely need-blind. Many have attacked the Corporation, claiming that a board composed of industry titans is detached from the middle-class and unable to connect to the needs of Brown students. The reality is much different. Direct aid has more than doubled, regulations regarding student loans and parent contributions have loosened, and Paxson has made active efforts to ensure a prosperous future for all students.

To be clear, I support careful analysis of any policy regardless of how reliable the source’s history may be. But anecdotal evidence and lofty complaints about the inability of corporate heads to implement efficacious, equitable policies are not worthy of serious consideration. Opponents of Paxson and the Corporation act as though construction and renovation of campus buildings are mutually exclusive with providing an enriching undergraduate experience. I’d argue that the two actually overlap.

To avoid personal bias shaped by emotion or ideology, students should consider reading through the University’s budget and looking at the recent trends in financial aid. Ultimately, the University and Paxson are admirably focused on making Brown more accessible for all.

Jay Upadhyay ’15 is an economics concentrator.