Letter: Andrews Commons offers many benefits

To the Editor:

While I agree with Daniel Moraff’s ’14 assertion (“Andrews Commons: a colossal waste,” Feb. 11) that the prices at Andrews Commons are somewhat higher than I would like, I think the new eatery is a clear example of a successful and valuable university project. The new eatery serves the dining needs of the Pembroke community — staying open 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, a feat that the Verney-Woolley Dining Hall and the Gate never accomplished. It can serve over twice as many students as the Gate in addition to offering study areas and seminar rooms. The dining options are also vastly improved.

I would join you in decrying the recent tuition hike. However, you link Andrews Commons to what you see as resistance to a ‘need-blind’ admission policy. You fail to remind your readers that the University already offers need blind admission to all domestic students, and that the University raised financial aid offerings by over 5 percent for next year, a more significant raise than the tuition hike.

Your assertion that “most of us don’t want this future” in reference to Andrews Commons, and the rest of your sensationalist rhetoric is far off base. The reception of the new eatery has been overwhelmingly popular, as The Herald has reported (“Andrews Commons food, decor a welcome addition, students say,” Feb. 6). But if you’d rather hang out at Jo’s, I’ll gladly take your spot in that pho line.

Walker Mills ’15

UCS General Body Member