Despite season’s shaky start, volleyball sweep Friars

Bruno enters mid-week contest on four-game slide, manages to take down PC in straight sets

Last year, the Providence College women’s volleyball team swept Brown in three games. But Wednesday, Brown capitalized on an opportunity for redemption, turning the tables on the Friars and finishing them off in three games — 25-21, 25-22, 25-18.

Last weekend’s invitational prepared the team for this cross-town rivalry. Outside hitter Emma Thygesen ’17 said the weekend was great practice because Bruno “competed with every team” — continually playing at a high level.

McKenna Webster ’16 said the team was forced to  “play up a level” at the invitational. And though the weekend prepared Bruno for Wednesday’s match, the team made some adjustments as well. “We were stepping up our serves,” Webster said, addomg that the increased serving intensity got the Friars out of their regular rotation.

Payton Smith ’17 scored three service aces, but service was not the only defining element of the Bears’ play. Smith further set the tone of the match by leading the team with 12 kills. Kills by Smith and Maddie Lord ’15 helped Brown pull away in the first game after a tight start.

For the next two games Brown started strong, gaining quick leads. Providence continued to fight back, answering these leads and closing the gaps.  Despite the Friars’ persistence, Webster said Bruno kept its energy up the whole time. Kathryn Conner ’15 contributed 16 digs to help close out the wins.

Webster said after this match “we are back on track.” The women will take this momentum into this weekend’s home matchups at the 2014 Brown Invitational. The team faces Liberty today — Friday Night Lights edition.