Ha '18: Is Brown a real lemon?

From the standpoint of an outsider, Brown has many unique and attractive features. It seems to have liberal academic, social and financial traits that are drastically different from those of other institutions: the open curriculum, the progressive student body and the University’s promise to meet 100 percent of demonstrated financial need for domestic first-year applicants, respectively.

Perhaps this is why the University’s applicant pool grows in size every year. On the surface, it appears that Brown students are free to explore diverse academic fields without much financial concern while socializing with their open and humanitarian peers. Dreams come true right here on — or near —  the Main Green, regardless of who you are or where you are from.

From the outside, Brown is truly glittering. But there is a different story when considered from an insider’s perspective.

The highly-praised open curriculum sometimes leads to a shallowly educated student body. Meanwhile, supposedly liberal and open-minded Brown students often become restrained by some of their preconceived ideals, building rude and intolerant attitudes towards certain viewpoints.

I hope to discuss these two issues in future columns. But for this piece, I focus on the financial aspects of the University that may differ from the expectations of outsiders.

First, the University’s promise to “meet 100 percent of demonstrated need,” as stated on its website for financial aid for first-year applicants, is often a fallacious advertisement. The slogan remains true only within the University’s own interpretation of “demonstrated need.” What the government calculates to be a student’s demonstrated need often differs from what Brown calculates — and mostly, the latter is the less generous of the two.

Brown is already known for its efforts to conserve funds in terms of financial aid for students. Data gathered by The Herald suggests that, on average, students receive less in University scholarships in comparison with Ivy League peers.

This, in part, may be attributed to the University’s relatively small budget. But upon further investigation, we can find more aspects that contribute to the un-leveling of the playing field.

The $2,600 in summer earnings that the University expects from the Class of 2018 could be considered one of them. While I do believe that this policy can help students in various ways, it certainly does not go along with the University’s guarantee to fulfill students’ financial needs.

There are many additional aspects — such as legacy admission — that hint at the importance of wealth within our campus. There are many factors that benefit those with money and harm those without.

This is a double-edged sword. While this makes admission more of an inheritance than something justifiably earned, students still tend to prioritize financial aid over everything else, according to the Undergraduate Council of Students’ fall 2014 poll. This obviously requires more money. Brown’s strategy to increase the size of the endowment could be justified, if it is to support underprivileged students.

But the operating budget deficit is rising every year to compensate not only for the growing amount of aid to students, but also for increased spending in many other areas — the deficit rose roughly 58 percent from $5.5 million in fiscal year 2013 to $8.7 million in fiscal year 2014. Consequently, students are financially burdened even before stepping foot on their career paths.

This creates an incessant loop of troubles. The University’s small budget forces it to offer more opportunities and resources for the wealthy in order to grow the endowment, and the underprivileged students lose even more opportunities for social mobility.

Brown no longer looks so pretty, does it?

What is perhaps the most problematic is the lack of transparency — transparency in the school’s environment, academia and finances. Problems become diseases when we conceal and hide them. Surmounting the problems related to income inequality and its timeless consequences through generations will be impossible if we blindly declare that all is well.

Though Brown may seem so perfect and peaceful from outside, many of us are aware of the complaints and noises rising from the heart of the institution. This may be attributed to many factors, like the lack of leadership, ineffectual investment or inefficient management of the budget.

At a more concrete level, the University should avoid relying on short-sighted financial tactics. Starting more group-specific programs or social work could lead to changes at a local level, but that still would not eradicate the deep-seated origins of injustice.

We need to take steps closer to the root of the problem. We need to stop lying to others, and — more importantly — to ourselves about the greatness of Brown. We need to stop believing that all of our actions are ideal and correct. We need to stop attracting students with misleading phrases like “100 percent.”

What we must first do is reconfigure what makes Brown unique, different from others.

It is not necessary for the University to make a promise to “meet 100 percent of demonstrated need,” because unrealistic words should never define who we are.  If we, as a community, begin prioritizing honesty and transparency, perhaps that “100 percent” can be met not solely in financial terms, but also through academic and social means.

This would allow us to construct a community — and furthermore a society — where selflessness, honesty and transparency are respected and cherished.

All that glitters is not gold — Brown may seem to be glittering, but as of now, it does not seem to be purely golden. But it does not really matter. We do not have to be golden or be the creme de la creme of all institutions. When was being at the top of the list part of our spirit?

Brown should not be condemned simply for its errors and mistakes — in fact, there are no institutions without imperfections. But what should be more emphasized is working together to construct our own unique style and character, clearly outlining what ideals we, as a community, must embrace.

David Ha ‘18 can be contacted at woosuk_ha@brown.edu.