Secondo '16: Weathering a not-so-winter wonderland

“Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom” may be the U.S. Postal Service’s unofficial motto, but it sounds like the narrative of a Brown student trudging to class through a Providence winter. One of the most unexpected lessons I have learned during my time at Brown is that the aftermath of any wintry presence — be it Nemo and Juno snowpocalypses or typical seasonal snowfall — taunts us more cruelly than any other region in New England.

I understand the struggling economic condition of Providence and greater Rhode Island is like that of the withering pumpkin you forgot to throw out until a month after Halloween. But in the name of Jack Frost, the Solstice and all the crystalline flakes, please, Brown, step up and learn how to effectively manage this weather by making the right operational decisions.

As a true New Englander, I was born in a blizzard and have had a shovel in my hand every winter since age five. Regardless of wintry conditions, snowfall or temperature, I have always worked to help remove snow, de-ice, clear off cars and unclog gutters when at home. Though this seasonal labor appears unfathomable to some, it is a second nature response by those who are culturally conditioned by weather.

But disclosure time: It’s not that difficult to deal with the snow. Yes, the coastal Atlantic temperate climate is both a curse and a blessing to live in, but winter can be very manageable for both natives and seasonal affective disorder sufferers alike. It all begins with accepting the mentality that it is winter, when one must be flexible, pragmatic and understanding in handling the weather.

Denial results in unpreparedness, possible injury from one’s lackadaisical behavior and a foul attitude against the totality of life, nature and everyone around you. Such rewards can also be obtained through poor decision-making. Yet for some reason, University administrators continually follow this frustrating approach of denial.

The main issue at hand is not the force of Mother Nature, who seems to be heavy-handed this season, nor is it the University’s decisions to remain open or to close. I understand the weighty decision to cease administrative and academic functions results in a significant loss of revenue for the University and the city at large. But when the weather causes almost all public schools and many universities across the state to close for the day, perhaps Brown should take the hint and follow suit. It may take the official say of two people to close Brown, but it takes more than a village to keep it running efficiently.

We all appreciate the tireless efforts of the Department of Facilities Management staff members, who have worked tirelessly to clear miles of walking space and ground, often working overnight. But every system is not perfect, as many sidewalks and paths on campus are still precariously passable at best.

Even if clearance teams labor overnight, oftentimes their hard work is not seen in the morning as the weather stops for no mortal. I recall schlepping up to Smith-Buananno Hall for an 8:30 a.m. class through four inches of un-shoveled glistening white. If the University expects community members to safely navigate around campus, then it should provide the appropriate means to ensure they can.

When administrative and academic functions are normally scheduled, it should be the utmost priority to make sure all students have the ability to attend class. The issued safety recommendations and measures are hypocritical. How is it possible to walk on the sidewalk if I cannot see it? I cannot fathom the constant struggle and stress peers with injuries or disabilities have experienced to simply move about campus. Also, can someone enlighten me as to where employees should park their cars when Brown chooses to be open while a parking ban is in effect?

If Brown is so integral to the city and greater community, then snow removal efforts should be increased and distributed across a greater geography. If the current number of Facilities staff members is insufficient to handle the volume and demand — which seems to be the case — the University should hire emergency-only crews or subcontract local, independent plowing companies. Off-campus students can lend a hand by being good citizens and neighbors and shoveling their own sidewalks.

Faculty and staff members who live beyond College Hill should not feel unnecessarily pressured to commute to work even when half the state is closed down and roads are barely passable given limited maxed-out plowing resources. To remain open on taxing weather days favors those individuals who live close to Brown or have access to feasible transportation. If employees choose to brave the weather, they should not be expected to deal with the same ineffective snow removal, nor face broken ankles, empty classes or towed vehicles.

As articulated by a commendable student petition to cancel classes, some of my fondest memories of Brown are snow-related. These memories include  participating in the epic Nemo snowball fight, watching tour groups react to the temporary artistic phallus installment on the Main Green and sledding on Ratty trays down Jenckes Hill — and surviving.

For the powers that be, sometimes it’s fine to throw up your hands, say let it go and close Brown for a day. In light of the University’s decision to close Monday, let’s hope this consciense- and student-approved decision is followed up with the expected maintenance measures. Snow removal efforts must be more effective and actually protect the safety of the Brown community. And maybe Brown can brush up on those crystal ball weather predictions in the meantime, too.

When not demonstrating the proper technique on shoveling snow, Reid Secondo ’16 can be reached at reid_secondo@brown.edu.