Letter: Misguided notions on mental health issues

To the Editor:

I disagree with the argument posed in Chad Simon’s ’16 Nov. 23 op-ed “Depressed? Who isn’t?” It comes across as misinformed, contrived and utterly pointless on the state of mental health issues.

Firstly, Simon describes Counseling and Psychological Services as the “most inefficient and unqualified” service offered at Brown — a remark extended from an egocentric viewpoint. Yes, CAPS has its issues, most of which are institutional. But to downplay the work that the psychologists, psychiatrists and administrative personnel do is very inconsiderate.

CAPS is understaffed, and taking into account that the staff members attend to more than 350 students a week, we should remember to acknowledge their hard work. It is wrong to direct our anger at the CAPS personnel, who work very hard to help the Brown community. The source of the inefficiency is the administration, which has been unrelenting in making CAPS more accessible to Brown students.

Secondly, Simon argues that recontextualization of one’s own depression is the panacea to the debilitating illness. This is one of the many approaches that are used in therapy; Simon should have done more research to substantiate his remarks.

Furthermore, an approach that has been shown to work for one person does not necessarily work for another. Instead of downplaying other approaches that are in use for mental illness treatment, we should be more willing to synergize different approaches for a more positive outcome. Mental health professionals, such as our very own CAPS staff, are doing exactly this.

Thirdly, suicide is a serious and catastrophic issue. Unlike what Simon argues, suicide is more of a public health issue than a private choice; unless we continue to see it as such, we run the risk of failing those who suffer from suicidal thinking. There is a plethora of research devoted to the study of suicide as well as mental health; it is our duty to educate ourselves before making misinformed remarks.

I believe that all issues should be discussed with extreme care, compassion and seriousness. Mental health discussions warrant this. It is arguments like those expressed in Simon’s op-ed that are halting the progress of fighting and destigmatizing mental illness.

Daniel Murage ’17