Miya Grant-Clavijo ’25 adds offensive threat to women’s soccer team

Clavijo scores two goals for reigning Ivy League champs in 3-1 victory over Northeastern

<p>Miya Grant-Clavijo ’25 proved to be an integral part of the Brown women’s soccer team in a strong game against Northeastern.</p>

Miya Grant-Clavijo ’25 proved to be an integral part of the Brown women’s soccer team in a strong game against Northeastern.

Miya Grant-Clavijo ’25 posted the first multi-goal game of her collegiate career against Northeastern University Sept. 19 to close out the non-conference portion of the women’s soccer team’s schedule. After a grueling three-game road trip, Brown faced off against the Huskies in a very physical contest on the Bears’ home turf, with each team receiving a yellow card in the second half of the game. From the beginning of the game, the Bears were led by the dominance of Grant-Clavijo. She gave the Bears the early lead by scoring two unanswered goals against the Huskies’ defense and even had a close opportunity to complete her hat trick. 

Grant-Clavijo had already proven herself to be an integral part of the reigning Ivy League champions’ success so far, even before the Northeastern matchup. She has seen minutes in every game for Bruno this season, starting off with 13 in Brown’s first contest against Hofstra University and increasing her role to 65 minutes against the Huskies. Due to her impressive performances this weekend and throughout non-conference play, Grant-Clavijo has been named The Herald’s Athlete of the Week. 

Herald: What does it feel like knowing you have so much of an impact as a first-year? 

Grant-Clavijo: It feels really good to be a part of something that I know I’ve had a direct impact on, especially as a freshman. I am competing with a handful of really talented players who have all had an impact on the growth and success of the team. Everyone pushes me to become a better player, and I feel that over the course of the season, I have improved my game and have become someone that the team can rely on. 

When did you first start playing soccer?

I started playing soccer when I was three years old. My dad grew up loving the game and wanted to share that passion with his kids. When I first started playing, I was quite uninterested, but I’ve since grown out of that. Now that I’m playing at the collegiate level, I couldn’t be happier.  

You have had a breakthrough season so far, increasing your playing time from 13 minutes in game one to 65 against Northeastern. What changes have you made that helped lead you to this jump?

The biggest change was the work I did off the field. I spent a lot more time analyzing my games and studying other teams. I started a soccer journal where I would write reflections after every practice and game. From the very start, I told myself that it’s what I do with my time on the field that counts, not the amount of time I have on the field. I’ve done my best to stick with the saying, and be that “fresh set of legs” off the bench. I like being that player who steps on the field and keeps the team’s energy up, and I hope to keep bringing that same excitement and energy throughout the Ivy League season.

What helps you focus before a game? Any pregame rituals? 

Going into each game, the most important thing is my mentality. I always have a focused mindset and confidence to do well. I am constantly setting goals for myself so I can focus my mind on what I want to achieve. In terms of pregame rituals, I normally listen to music and visualize myself in the game. I always tie my hair low and I love using Tiger Balm. 

In addition to playing for Brown, you have experience competing for Canada’s U17 national soccer team. What was it like competing internationally? 

Competing internationally was such a rewarding experience. During my time abroad, I learned how to deal with nerves and pressure and, in turn, gained a lot of confidence. I believe that competing at that level has facilitated my transition into collegiate sports, and it has helped me to feel confident playing with large and excited crowds. I am so grateful that I got to experience it all.   

What has been your favorite part of the brand new facility?

Overall, I really like the (Center for Lacrosse and Soccer). The lockers are nice and there’s a beautiful view of the field from the third floor. However, I would say that my favorite part of the new facility is the Athletic Training Suite. It’s located right beside the lockers and the field which makes it easy to move from room to room. The ice tubs have saved my legs countless times in the last few weeks, and there is also access to equipment. 

What is your mentality with the Ivy League season fast approaching and having to defend the championship title? 

I am very excited and ready for the upcoming Ivy League season. I remember watching Brown play in 2019, and all I could think of was how bad I wanted to be on that winning team. Two years later, here I am. We’re going into our first (Ivy League) game this Saturday, and I couldn’t be more pumped to take on Dartmouth. I have a lot of confidence in the team, and I believe that we will have a strong and successful start to our Ivy League season.