UCS passes resolution to call on University to end preferential treatment of legacy students in admissions 

Council also discusses fall poll, funding health, wellness event

UCS is looking into funding a new health and wellness initiative, which members discussed at the Wednesday general body meeting.

The Undergraduate Council of Students discussed funding a health and wellness initiative and conducting its annual fall poll at its general body meeting Wednesday evening.

Chair of Academic Affairs Zoë Fuad ’23.5 also announced that the Council’s resolution to call on the University to end the preferential treatment of legacy students in admissions passed after last week’s vote. 

The resolution calls upon the University to “end legacy (admission) preferences for children of Brown alumni … fully disclose all information regarding the acceptance rates for legacy applicants … fully disclose both the formal and informal benefits provided to legacy applicants” and create a committee that will “review and adjust admissions policies” annually, according to the text of the resolution

The Council also discussed an accountability workshop to be hosted by BWell Health Promotion on Nov. 17 titled “Community Accountability and Domestic Violence: Centering the Experience of Indigenous Women.” BWell requested the Council co-sponsor and contribute $2,700 toward the workshop, said Chair of Health and Wellness Emma Amselem Bensadon ’24.

The Council will vote via a virtual form on whether to co-sponsor the event. If the Council decides to co-sponsor the event, it will be able to request supplementary funding from the Undergraduate Finance Board to cover BWell’s request. 

Some Council members were concerned that requesting the entire sum from UFB could take away from future funding requests for other events. 

In response, UCS President Summer Dai ’22 provided context about the amount of  funding UCS typically receives. 

“In pre-COVID years, UCS has usually asked for about $5,000 per semester,” she said. “We only have a month left before reading period, so I think this is the only event or initiative that is requesting a lot of money.” 

Currently, UCS has access to some raised funds as well as $300 of baseline funds provided by UFB. When UCS plans to hold or fund events, it must seek supplemental funding from UFB or other sources. The Council is currently considering requesting a lump sum from UFB for future semesters, Dai said. 

The lump sum would allow UCS to pursue events and activities without needing to apply for additional supplemental funding. 

The Council was awarded roughly $5,500 by UFB in 2018-19, the most recent year UFB shared group funding data.

Also at the meeting, the Council began to discuss its fall poll. The purpose of the poll is to gather data “that will support (UCS) in determining, prioritizing and advocating” for student needs, said Council At-Large Representative John Lin ’23. 

When creating the poll, the Council plans to prioritize questions that are “actionable” in order to ensure that the poll is short enough for undergraduates to fill out completely, Lin said. 

Council members filled out a brief form to list topics they believe should be asked about on the fall poll.