Brown reduces on-campus testing site operations, pilots self-administered test program

Self-administered testing open at Medical School

The announcement follows the University’s Oct. 25 decision to make COVID-19 testing on campus optional for fully vaccinated students, faculty and staff members.

Brown has reduced the locations and hours of its on-campus asymptomatic COVID-19 testing program, according to an email from Executive Vice President for Planning and Policy Russell Carey ’91 MA’06 to the Brown community Thursday. Beginning Nov. 8, the testing site at Andrews House will be closed and the hours and days at both Alumnae Hall and One Davol Square will be reduced.

In addition, Carey noted that starting Monday, the University will be “piloting self-administered testing at One Davol Square,” with community members conducting their own PCR tests at the site under the supervision of a medical technician who will “assist with any questions you might have,” Carey wrote.

The announcement follows the University’s Oct. 25 decision to make COVID-19 testing on campus optional for fully vaccinated students, faculty and staff members. Upon returning from Thanksgiving break, “undergraduate students will be required to test on day 1 and 5 following their return to campus,” Carey wrote to the Brown community in an Oct. 25 email. Unvaccinated community members are still required to receive twice-weekly testing at campus facilities. 

According to the Healthy at Brown website Alumnae Hall will be open from 6:30 a.m.  to 6:00 p.m. Mondays, and 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. It will be open from 12:00 p.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and will be closed Sundays. One Davol Square will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, and will be closed on the weekend.

This story is developing. Check back for updates.