Baseball no-hits Holy Cross in 3-0 win

Four pitchers, defense combine to achieve historic feat

<p>The Bears’ win against the College of the Holy Cross Tuesday followed the team’s 9-4 win against Holy Cross March 20.</p><p>Courtesy of David Silverman Photography via Brown Athletics</p>

The Bears’ win against the College of the Holy Cross Tuesday followed the team’s 9-4 win against Holy Cross March 20.

Courtesy of David Silverman Photography via Brown Athletics

The pitching staff of the baseball team (6-14, 2-4 Ivy League) threw a combined no-hitter Tuesday afternoon in a 3-0 win over the College of the Holy Cross. Pitchers Bobby Olsen ’23, Charlie Beilenson ’22, Paxton Meyers ’24 and Jack Seppings ’25 all contributed to the performance. On offense, the Bears’ earned three runs in the second and third innings.

“Our pitchers every day preach attacking the hitters, and today we did a really good job at that,” Head Coach Grant Achilles said. “The energy in the dugout contributed to the energy on the field, and it showed.”

Beilenson, who earned the win pitching four innings in relief, said that he felt that energy when he stepped out on the Murray Stadium field to pitch against Holy Cross. “It was a combination of putting together everything we’ve worked on this entire year, our coaches leading us exactly to this point,” he said. 

When the Bears last faced Holy Cross March 20, they won 9-4, but today’s win made history. At the time of publication, Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Tim Geer was unable to list the most recent no-hitter pitched by the baseball team. 

Olsen started for the Bears, giving up no hits, one walk and no runs in three innings pitched. The Bears’ hitters took advantage of Olsen’s early dominance, scoring all their runs in the innings that he pitched. In the bottom of the second, Reece Rappoli ’24 singled and Nathan Brasher ’25 hit a double to send him home, making the score 1-0.

In the bottom of the third, Ray Sass ’23 singled to left field and stole second base. From there, Brasher hit another double to plate another run for the Bears, making the score 2-0. With Brasher on second, Rappoli contributed a double of his own that brought Brasher home, giving the Bears a 3-0 lead over the Crusaders.

“Offensively, I think we’ve made a lot of adjustments,” Brasher said. “Coach Achilles has helped each player out … talking about what pitches we’re looking for and when,” which Brasher said “is the best thing for hitters.”

In addition to big hits, defensive contributions from Brasher and other Bears were important in the no-hitter, Achilles added.

“Brasher made a great play down the left field line,” Achilles said. He also noted a defensive play made by Derian Morphew ’23, who hustled in the outfield to catch a line drive on the run and kept the no-hitter intact. 

“Today was about pitching and defense together,” Achilles said.

The Bears did not score again after the third inning, but Beilenson, Meyers and Seppings all took the mound following Olsen and ensured that the Crusaders did not hit for the entirety of the game. 

According to Achilles, the strong performance from the pitchers as well as from the offense and defense is a culmination of the Bears’ work this season and offers a positive sign for games to come. The team is excited to “take today’s momentum into the weekend,” he said. 

“You want to be playing the best baseball at the end of the season,” Achilles said. “I think our team is heading in that direction.”