Baseball takes finale against Yale, avoids sweep

Bears bounce back Sunday to defeat Bulldogs 4-3 after losing twice Saturday

The Bears were unable to secure the win against the Bulldogs in yet another close contest to complete the doubleheader Saturday. 

Courtesy of Brown Athletics
The Bears were unable to secure the win against the Bulldogs in yet another close contest to complete the doubleheader Saturday. Courtesy of Brown Athletics

The baseball team (8-19, 3-9 Ivy League) fell twice Saturday against Yale (16-11, 7-5) but took the series finale on Sunday. The Bulldogs were able to secure a series win with a pair of one-run victories, including an extra-innings win, in Saturday’s doubleheader in New Haven. The Bears lost by scores of 3-2 and 7-6 Saturday but secured a 4-3 win the following day.

In a statement to Brown Athletics, Head Coach Grant Achilles praised the team’s efforts despite the series defeat. "Our kids played hard all weekend, and that's something that is starting to show through in the box score,” Achilles said. “We're making it more difficult on our opponent, and coming out here after two tough losses yesterday, … I was really proud of their effort today."

Yale 3, Brown 2

In a ten-inning contest, the Bears fell short to the Bulldogs to open the series. Starting on the mound for Brown was Bobby Olsen ’23, who pitched 6.2 innings and held Yale to two runs in a no-decision. The Bears got off to an aggressive start offensively in the first inning with two runners on base, but the Bulldogs were able to get out of trouble and take the lead 1-0 in the bottom of the first. Yale attempted to extend its lead in the second, but Olson worked out of trouble for a scoreless inning.

Strong defensive efforts by the Bears kept the Bulldogs off the board during the next two innings. Catcher Jacob Burley ’23 helped neutralize Yale’s running game, notching his 11th caught stealing of the season. Brown tied the game in the top of the fourth inning when Derian Morphew ’23 cleared the left-field fence for his third home run of the season.

Jared Johnson ’25 supplied even more offense in the top of the fifth inning with a solo home run, making it 2-1 in favor of Brown. But Yale bounced back with a home run in the bottom half of the same inning to draw the contest even. 

The Bears loaded the bases in the eighth after an infield hit by Reece Rappoli ’24 — his second hit of game one — but Yale escaped trouble after a call to the bullpen, keeping the score 2-2.

The Bulldogs threatened to end the game in the bottom of the ninth after getting a runner in scoring position, but relief pitcher Paxton Meyers ’24 kept Bruno alive, ending the frame with his third punchout to force extra innings. Yale went on to score in the bottom of the 10th, handing Brown a 3-2 defeat.

Yale 7, Brown 6

The Bears were unable to secure the win against the Bulldogs in yet another close contest to complete the doubleheader Saturday. Tobey McDonough ’23 started on the mound for Brown, allowing six runs — three of which were earned — in five innings. Santhosh Gottam ’25 was charged with the loss but turned in a strong performance, striking out three over three innings.

“The mindset going into each game is to bring the same competitiveness we saw this weekend and to build off of the things we did well,” McDonough said. “Although we did not win the series, I think all three games being decided by one run shows how competitive we were until the final out of each game.”

Yale got off to a quick start, leading 4-0 after three innings, but the game quickly developed into a back-and-forth affair. The Bears scored three in the top of the fifth on three hits to bring the score to 3-4. Yale then scored two in the bottom of the inning, but the Bears struck back with a pair of their own thanks to a Morphew two-run single. After six innings, Yale held a 6-5 lead. 

In the top of the seventh inning, Charles Crawford ’24 hit a solo home run to tie the game at six. The Bulldogs were able to regain the lead in the bottom of the seventh inning with a home run of their own. Brown could not complete the comeback and fell to Yale 7-6. 

Brown 4, Yale 3

The Bears took the series finale on Easter Sunday, holding onto a one-run lead to leave New Haven with a victory. Zach Fogell ’22 started on the mound and pitched four innings, allowing one run on three hits while striking out six. Meyers threw three scoreless innings in relief of Fogell, striking out four and earning his second win of the season. 

Yale jumped ahead in the bottom of the second, taking a 1-0 lead, and added another run on a solo home run in the bottom of the third inning. Trailing 2-0 heading into the top of the fifth, the Bears tied the game following two RBI singles. Chris Lang ’22 singled to left field to plate a run — the ball went by the left fielder and Burley, who was on first base, capitalized on Yale’s defensive error and scored. Rappoli subsequently contributed a single of his own with two outs that brought Lang home. 

A Johnson home run over the right field wall in the top of the sixth gave Bruno a 3-2 lead. Johnson also shone on defense, robbing Yale of a home run in the bottom of the sixth to preserve Brown’s one-run lead. 

Yale came back to tie the game 3-3 at the bottom of the seventh, but Brown never allowed them to take another lead in the game. In the top of the ninth, Ray Sass ’23 walked, stole second and advanced to third on a hit by Ryan Marra ’23. After a pitching change, Rappoli stepped up to the plate and bunted down the first base line to plate Sass and secure the lead. The Bears were able to hold onto the lead in the bottom of the ninth, defeating the Bulldogs 4-3. 

Johnson and the team remain optimistic heading into the season’s crucial final stretch. “I think even after our tough losses on Saturday we finished out the series really well. We kept our energy throughout the game and always kept the pressure on them and I think that was a very important part in finishing out the series strong,” Johnson said. “As for the rest of the season, I think it’s important we take it one game at a time and play every one like it’s our last and not (let) any moment be too big for us.”

The Bears will face Penn in a three-game away series this weekend in their final road trip of the year.