15 Pride Month events in Rhode Island this June

Celebrate Pride at LGBTQ+ festivals, shows, exhibitions

<p>This June marks the first in-person Pride celebrations hosted by Rhode Island Pride since the pandemic after its annual in-person events and parade were postponed due to public health concerns the past two years.</p>

This June marks the first in-person Pride celebrations hosted by Rhode Island Pride since the pandemic after its annual in-person events and parade were postponed due to public health concerns the past two years.

With Pride Month almost here, The Herald has compiled a list of events in the Providence area celebrating the LGBTQ+ community this June. Local groups will be hosting exhibits, shows, community events and more. 

May 23-June 8: Youth Pride, Inc. Virtual 5k. Youth Pride, Inc., a nonprofit supporting LGBTQ youth, is hosting a virtual race to support LGBTQ+ youth across Rhode Island. Proceeds from registration fees will directly support YPI’s basic needs pantry and its case management and mental health services, which are accessible free of charge to community members under the age of 23, according to the event description.

June 1-Aug. 31: Wanderground Lesbian Archive at the Providence Public Library. PPL is hosting an exhibition featuring a collection of lesbian and feminist publications, media, art and cultural memorabilia compiled by Mev Miller, who founded the lesbian archive Wanderground. The exhibition, which is available to the public in PPL’s Rhode Island Room at 150 Empire St., will be accompanied by a curator’s tour of the exhibition with Miller June 15 beginning at 5:15 p.m., according to the PPL website.

June 4: Pawtucket Pride's Inaugural Run/Walk/Roll. Participants can run, walk or roll at Pawtucket Pride’s kickoff event at Pawtucket City Hall, located at 137 Roosevelt Ave. Attendees will begin to gather at 10 a.m. for an 11 a.m. start, with food and drinks to follow.

June 5: 2022 Trek Pride Ride. Local bike store Trek Bicycle East Providence will lead a casual ride with snacks, drinks and free swag to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community. Registration is free, and the ride kicks off at 9 a.m. from India Point Park at 225 India St. 

June 5: 23rd Annual RI Pride Goddess Show. A diverse lineup of LGBTQ+ and allied performers will be featured in “a celebration of women in the arts” hosted by Rhode Island Pride, according to the group’s website. Doors open at noon, and the show will run from 1 to 5 p.m. at Alchemy, located at 171 Chestnut St., with food and beverages available.

June 7: Queer Archives Movie Night from the RI LGBTQ+ Film Series. PPL will show film footage from the collections of the RI LGBTQ+ Community Archive and Rhode Island Historical Society at an in-person screening. Seating opens at 5:30 p.m., and the screening begins at 6 p.m. The event is free and open to the public, with prior registration required.  It will be held at PPL's Donald J. Farish Auditorium at 150 Empire St. The series will include other screenings later in the month, including “Death Drop Gorgeous” on June 14 and “I'm Gonna Make You Love Me” on June 21.  

June 9: Sweet Little Pride Show. A variety show featuring a lineup of LGBTQ+ performers and allies will help support RI Pride. The event begins at 8 p.m. in Askew Bistro & Entertainment Venue at 150 Chestnut St.

June 11: 5th Annual Pride Crawl. The annual Pride Crawl in Providence, which heralds itself as “the proudest crawl of the year,” will donate a portion of its proceeds to The Trevor Project. Check-in is from 4 to 6 p.m. with crawl locations open from 4 to 10 p.m. and an afterparty to follow.

June 12: LGBTQIA+ Resource Fair & ART Marketplace. Haus of Codec will host a resource fair and marketplace from noon to 4 p.m. June 12 at Burnside Park, located at 2 Kennedy Plaza. The event will also include a clothing swap, so the organization encourages attendees to bring any clothing they wish to donate.

June 13: Family LGBTQ+ Skate Night. United Skates of America, a roller skating rink in East Providence, welcomes families to celebrate Pride Month while skating from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 75 New Road. The venue will also host an LGBTQ+ Adult Skate Night on June 25 from 10 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.

June 18: Rhode Island PrideFest and Illuminated Night Parade. Rhode Island Pride’s annual celebration on South Water Street will feature over 250 nonprofit organizations, businesses and food vendors. Attendees can watch a variety of local, regional and national acts on the main stage. Festivities begin at noon, and the popular Night Parade kicks off at 8 p.m. featuring a dazzling display of floats, performing artists, marching groups and more.

June 18: Pride @ the Stable PVD. The Stable at 125 Washington St. will host a block party featuring drinks by LGBTQ-owned distillery Rhode Island Spirits. Specialty cocktails will be served from 1 to 4:30 p.m.

June 24-26: Newport Pride Weekend. The annual Newport Pride weekend will feature a variety of events across three days. Highlights include the Pride Ride at noon June 25 and the Pride Market and Festival from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. the same day, both at the Great Friends Meeting House at 21 Farewell St. in Newport.

June 29: Pride Bingo Card. Providence Community Librarians from Washington Park and Olneyville created a bingo card of activities to complete throughout Pride Month. At 7 p.m. June 29, participants can tune in to a Facebook Live to see if they win bingo and earn a reading-based prize.

Until June 30: “Tomboy” at the Providence Public Library. PPL’s exhibition of items and artwork examines gender identity and labeling surrounding the term “tomboy.” Those interested can access the exhibition through PPL’s Joan T. Boghassion Gallery during the library’s open hours.

Rhea Rasquinha

Rhea Rasquinha is a Metro Section Editor covering Development and Infrastructure and also serves as Co-Chief of Illustrations. She previously covered the College Hill, Fox Point & the Jewelry District and Brown & Beyond beats. Rhea is a junior from New York studying Biomedical Engineering and loves dark chocolate and penguins.