Long-awaited Trader Joe’s opening slated for next Thursday

Grocery store to have ribbon cutting, open doors for business

<p>Trader Joe&#x27;s long-anticipated location on College Hill is slated to have a staff of 80 new crew members, and will include murals of scenes of Providence parks, universities and neighborhoods throughout the walls inside.
</p>

Trader Joe's long-anticipated location on College Hill is slated to have a staff of 80 new crew members, and will include murals of scenes of Providence parks, universities and neighborhoods throughout the walls inside.

After years of waiting and speculation, the Fox Point Trader Joe's will have its grand opening next Thursday, Nov. 3.

“Moments before doors open at 8 a.m., there will be a brief ceremonial ribbon cutting,” according to a press release from the grocery store chain. “Store Captain Linda Iannitti and Trader Joe’s crew members will be on hand to welcome customers to their new neighborhood store.”

Students have expressed excitement about the opening of the long-awaited location, partly because of the market’s inexpensive and eclectic food options.

The interior of the grocery store will include murals of locations throughout Providence, including India Point Park, Federal Hill and different universities, according to the press release.

The store will be hiring 80 crew members to fully staff the franchise.

“I am personally quite excited about the opening of a Trader Joe's finally since it's been like a long time coming,” said Yuna Shprecher ’24.

Shprecher emphasized that the opening will increase food options for students, particularly upperclassmen and those who are off the University meal plan.

“I think it will definitely help a lot for students where there's just a lot of difficulty finding grocery stores easily, especially when you're not completely on the meal plan and trying to find fresh produce,” she explained.

Shprecher added that especially as a vegan student, the options from the franchise will help her to consistently have plant-based snacks and meals.

“Having the Trader Joe's that's in a place that's really commonly accessed in general is exciting,” she said.

Katy Pickens

Katy Pickens is the managing editor of newsroom and vice president of The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. She previously served as a Metro section editor covering College Hill, Fox Point and the Jewelry District, housing & campus footprint and activism, all while maintaining a passion for knitting tiny hats.