Providence Police make arrest after finding antisemitic note at Hillel

Case has been turned over to Attorney General’s office

<p>This incident followed two previous incidents of antisemitic graffiti found over the summer, The Herald previously reported.</p>

This incident followed two previous incidents of antisemitic graffiti found over the summer, The Herald previously reported.

The Providence Police Department arrested a suspect in the case of an antisemitic note being left at Brown RISD Hillel, wrote Executive Director and Rabbi Josh Bolton in an email to the Hillel community Thursday afternoon. 

“I am encouraged to report (that) the Providence Police Department has conducted a full investigation and an arrest has been made,” he wrote in the email. “The case has now officially been turned over to the Attorney General’s office.”

The antisemitic note, which included violent threats against Jewish people written on a donation card, was discovered in the Hillel reception area Sunday, The Herald previously reported. Hillel immediately contacted the University’s Department of Public Safety, who referred the case to PPD. 

Bolton added that the suspect is not a member of the Brown, RISD or Hillel communities but that Hillel cannot currently release any more details.

He expressed thanks to PPD and DPS “for their swift and thorough handling of this situation.”

PPD has not responded to requests for comment as of press time. 

“We would also like to extend our gratitude to the many voices within the Brown RISD Hillel and College Hill communities who have expressed support for BRH and Jewish students at Brown and RISD,” Bolton wrote. 

“We’re grateful that with assistance from Brown DPS and Brown-RISD Hillel staff, the Providence Police were able to successfully investigate this incident and complete an arrest,” wrote University Spokesperson Brian Clark in an email to The Herald. “While we hope this offers some level of reassurance, it remains deeply distressing that members of the Jewish community on campus, and in places well beyond, continue to face antisemitic acts like this, which should have no place in any community.”

Bolton concluded the email by writing that he “look(s) forward to shifting our attention to the continued and important work of shaping a diverse, vital, engaged, bold (and) creative Jewish community on College Hill!”

Peter Swope

Peter Swope is the senior editor of digital engagement for The Brown Daily Herald's 133rd Editorial Board. He previously served as a Sports section editor and has also written stories for University News. Peter is a senior from New Jersey studying history.