Where are Brown students getting hit with projectiles?

RISD professor struck by projectiles Monday afternoon

A Rhode Island School of Design professor was struck by multiple projectiles fired from a car at the corner of Power and Thayer streets Monday afternoon, according to an email from Brown’s Department of Public Safety.

The incident marked the 16th time a Brown or RISD community member has been struck by projectiles from a car since April, The Herald previously reported. The professor did not sustain injuries from the projectiles, which are “generally small gel balls that are non-toxic and designed for play,” according to the email.

None of the community members who were previously struck have sustained injuries from the projectiles, Rodney Chatman, vice president for public safety and chief of DPS, previously told The Herald.

Chatman previously told The Herald that the incidents are not clustered in certain areas or on specific days of the week. But the department has conducted “investigative efforts” allowing them to identify cars, information that they passed on to Providence’s police department.

A review of “timely warnings” from DPS shows that no incident has taken place north of Bowen Street or south of Power Street. Nine of the 16 incidents have taken place on or between Thayer and Brook streets. Monday’s 6:30 p.m. incident also marked the earliest occurrence this year.

Will Kubzansky

Will Kubzansky is the 133rd editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald. Previously, he served as a University News editor overseeing the admission & financial aid and staff & student labor beats. In his free time, he plays the guitar and soccer — both poorly.