10 things to do while you're on College Hill

1. Chow down at the Blue Room

Enjoy a muffin and iced latte at the café in the Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center. It’s a great spot to work or catch up with friends — but gossipers beware, you never know who’s in the booth behind you.

2. Lounge and picnic on the Main Green

Play Spikeball, read a book or watch the Brown University Poler Bears — the Brown-RISD pole dancing troupe — rehearse on the Green.

3. Get a ‘spicy with’ from Josiah’s or enjoy pho Friday at Andrews

After a long day, visit Andrews Hall to try some pho, or for late-night fare, swing by Jo’s for a spicy chicken sandwich with cheese — ask for a “spicy with.”

4. Skillfully avoid stepping on the Pembroke Seal.

Campus’s north end is what once was Pembroke College — Brown’s coordinate women’s college until the two institutions merged in 1971. But be careful: According to Brown lore, any student that steps on the stone engraved with Pembroke’s seal is doomed to not graduate — or get pregnant!

5. Snap a pic in front of the Van Wickle Gates 

Every Brown student passes through the Van Wickle Gates twice during their undergraduate education — once during Convocation and again at Commencement. The gates remain closed during the rest of the year, but every prospective student should make sure they snap a pic in front of them.

6. Grab a bite at Bagel Gourmet or Louis.

Students looking for a morning pick-me-up often find themselves at Bagel Gourmet, with locations on Thayer and Meeting streets, or Louis Family Restaurant on Brook Street. 

7. Relax in a park and get to know Providence

Enjoy scenic views of the bay at India Point Park, check out the pedestrian bridge or take in the sunset over the Providence skyline at Prospect Terrace.

8. Be serenaded in Wayland Arch

With over a dozen a capella groups on campus, everyone can find a sound that works for them. Groups often congregate under Wayland for its acoustics and central location.

9. Explore Ives and Wickenden

Further off the beaten path and quirkier than Thayer Street, Ives and Wickenden streets in Fox Point feature antique shops, bakeries and coffee shops that are all worth a visit.

10. Stop by 88 Benevolent Street.

The Herald has served the Brown community for well over 130 years. Today, our offices are at 88 Benevolent Street, where we hope to see many of you during your time at the University!