Seven student group events to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month

Groups will host performances, game nights, dances

<p>Mariachi de Brown will bring live music to the Brown Center for Students of Color Welcome Back event on Sept. 29. The performance will accompany the dinner portion of the event.</p>

Mariachi de Brown will bring live music to the Brown Center for Students of Color Welcome Back event on Sept. 29. The performance will accompany the dinner portion of the event.

Student groups are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, which began on Sept. 15, across College Hill. From Mariachi performances and dance lessons to domino games, here are seven student group events that uplift Hispanic culture and heritage on campus.

Sept. 28: Dominican Students @ Brown Welcome Back 

Prospect Terrace, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

Dominican Students at Brown will host an official welcome back event Thursday evening to foster community among Dominicans with “food, music and vibes” at Prospect Terrace.

Sept. 29: Mariachi de Brown Performance at Brown Center for Students of Color Welcome Back Event

Sayles Hall, 5:30 p.m.

Mariachi de Brown brings live music to the BCSC’s Asian/Asian American, Black, Latinx, Multiracial, Native and Swana Heritage Series Welcome Back Event, accompanying the dinner portion of the event. Come for the food and refreshments, and stay for a great performance, starting at 6:40 p.m.

Sept. 30: CAUSA Central American Heritage Celebration

Alumnae Hall Auditorium, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.

The Central American United Students Association will host a heritage celebration this Saturday, bringing music, food and community to Alumnae Hall in hopes of making Central American students feel welcome on campus. With musical performances from the local group “Marimba Sentimiento Chapin" and dancing by the folkloric Salvadoran dance group "Grupo Torogoz" from Chelsea, Massachusetts, the event will bring Central American arts to College Hill. 

Sept. 30: Bienvenides a Playa Saturno: A Latinx Student Union Party

Kasper Multipurpose Room at Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center, 10:00 p.m. - 1:30 a.m.

Dress like you’re going to the “beach in Saturno” — somewhere between Y2K, beachy and space, according to the event’s flier — at Latinx Student Union’s party to “celebrate the start of a new school year.” Tickets are $7, with cash preferred.

Oct. 4: Mariachi de Brown x Jazz Jams Spanish Jam Night

The Underground at Stephen Robert ’62 Campus Center, 10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m,

In this joint event, Mariachi de Brown will perform its music to the Underground with the help of Jazz Jams, which invites musicians to perform every other Wednesday in a low-stakes environment. Mariachi de Brown will open up the floor for the audience to play with the band. 

Oct. 7: Bailando en Casita: A Mezcla x La Casita Dance Social

Machado House ballroom, 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. 

Mezcla and La Casita will invite guests to show off their best dance moves at the Machado House ballroom. Mezcla dancers will teach bachata dance before opening the night for a dance social. Mocktails will be provided.

Thais Santos ’25, president of Latinx House, encourages new and old dancers to attend to the event and learn bachata while meeting peers. 

Oct. 13: Domino' Con Domino: The Remix with La Casita and Dominican Students at Brown

Machado House ballroom, 5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

DS@B and La Casita will host a dominoes tournament — a popular game across Latin America and in the Dominican Republic in particular — and serve Domino’s Pizza to attendees. A fan favorite from last semester, Domino’ con Domino will return with a competitive flair.

Ryan Doherty

Ryan Doherty is a Section Editor covering faculty, higher education and science & research. He is a sophomore concentrating in chemistry and economics who likes to partially complete crosswords in his free time.