Engineering professor at large wins nation’s top science award

Subra Suresh, former National Science Foundation director, joined U. faculty in 1983

<p>Subra Suresh served as the National Science Foundation’s 13th director from 2010 to 2013, where he started the foundation’s I-Corps program to train scientists to commercialize their research.</p><p>Courtesy of Peter Goldberg/Brown University</p>

Subra Suresh served as the National Science Foundation’s 13th director from 2010 to 2013, where he started the foundation’s I-Corps program to train scientists to commercialize their research.

Courtesy of Peter Goldberg/Brown University

Subra Suresh, professor at large at the School of Engineering, was awarded the National Medal of Science in a Tuesday ceremony held at the White House.

The award, which the White House considers the “nation’s highest scientific honor,” was awarded to Suresh and eight other scientists, according to a White House press release. President Biden awarded the medals at a Tuesday White House ceremony. 

“It’s very satisfying,” Suresh was quoted saying in a University press release, adding that while honored for the recognition of his work, the work itself is what matters most. 

“It’s icing on the cake, but it's not the cake itself,” he said in the news release.

Suresh served as the National Science Foundation’s 13th director from 2010 to 2013, the first Asian-born American to serve in the role. There, he started the NSF’s Innovation Corps program, which trains scientists to commercialize their research.

Suresh first came to the University in 1983, serving as a faculty member for ten years. In September, the School of Engineering announced that Suresh would return as professor at large.

University Provost Francis J. Doyle III and Dean of Engineering Tejal Desai praised Suresh for his work as an engineering scholar in the University news release.

“On behalf of the entire University, I am thrilled to extend a heartfelt congratulations to our colleague Subra Suresh …for being recognized with the nation's highest scientific honor,” Doyle said in the release. 

“His visionary leadership in higher education and at the National Science Foundation has had a tremendous impact in both fundamental science and innovation across the globe,” Desai said in the release. 

Neil Mehta

Neil Mehta is the editor-in-chief and president of the Brown Daily Herald's 134th editorial board. They study public health and statistics at Brown. Outside the office, you can find Neil baking and playing Tetris.